Others 2021 Holidays Virtual Card - Opinions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
Hi Everyone,
I'm working on my virtual Holiday card for 2021. I've chosen some old tree ornaments of Whitetail Deer and a small Cottage with Carolers.
I have three versions here with different lighting and DOF. I still have some editing to do, these were stacked photos and I'm not a fan of the "ghosting" results using PS. I'll be buying a different stacking program today.
My question to you all is which version do you like better? Any other suggestions, tips, or critique would be helpful. The scene is still set up and my final shots will be this evening. I did a bluish tint because that's how the snow looks at night in these parts when the stars are out.
Nikon D7100, 85mm manual macro and 105mm Nikkor macro, varied F stops, and continuous lighting from soft boxes. On a tripod using focusing rail, and remote shutter.

Holidays Card 2021-.jpg Holidays Card 2021--2.jpg Holidays Card 2021--3.jpg

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hello Tina Boes Tina Boes ,while all images are gorgeous, I would prefer second one. I like that the background is to blur and I can see the subject behind the deer. Also the composition and lighting is spot on. The last photo seems to blur and the composition is a bit poor. But that's my opinion :)

• Smiling Face
Reactions: Tina Boes

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
Hello Tina Boes Tina Boes ,while all images are gorgeous, I would prefer second one. I like that the background is to blur and I can see the subject behind the deer. Also the composition and lighting is spot on. The last photo seems to blur and the composition is a bit poor. But that's my opinion :)
Thanks Jack! The last photo is the one that I was not happy on the stacking in photo shop. I'll probably toss that one. ;-)
Hi Tina, I think I prefer the first one. I like the darker lighting on the ornaments and the blur on the house. JMHO šŸ˜
Thank you. I am leaning toward that one myself. I might brighten up the front of the cottage just a little bit and see if that adds to it. It's a bit dark there. :)

Reactions: Jack

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
For me number 1 has more of a festive feel, although I think the foreground deer could be a little lighter around the head and antlers.

• Smiling Face

lovitazoe

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
I choose no.1 šŸ˜ƒ.
The lighting on 2nd photo is too bright for me.
The 3rd photo' background doesn't really stand out.

• Smiling Face
Reactions: Tina Boes and Jack

Chavezshutter

Staff member
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
I like the first one too, the background bokeh is more appealing to me as well as the light gradient on the deer going darker up top, a tiniest bit of more expo on the whole scene might improve it. Nice set of shots, these are very cool šŸ‘

• Smiling Face