Your opinion? A Simple Water Drop

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.

A-PeeR

Jan 23, 2021
Photographing water drops is an interesting endeavor. Like traditional macro photography critical focus, focal plane, good flash illumination, and diffusion is required. This form of photography is considered high speed so lessons learned in flash pulse duration are applicable to high magnification macro. Unlike macro flash output needs to be as low as possible, in the case of this photo 1/64 power on dual flashes. Using dual flashes introduces timing issues when using my cheap wireless triggers, timing differences of a millisecond or two manifest as ghosting. My solution was to cable both flashes to the camera via PC sync cables. This image was taken using a medicine dropper to disperse the water drop. The drop falls through a laser trigger which fires the camera at a user defined time. The hint of blue is from dye in the water pan from a previous session.

Image specs: Single Shot Table Mounted 180mm - f/22 - SS 1/200 - ISO200 - Dual flashes with plexiglass diffuser panel for ceiling lights.

simple drop.jpg

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
That's for sure a very interesting alternative if you've enough time and space for the equiment. The picture with the mirror effect looks for sure really cool. I'm very impressed by this.

Reactions: Greg Shchepanek