Wildlife A young Tokay Gecko

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Life in wild, images made outdoors in the wild, example wild animals, and tropic places. Showing the life of these animals in that way how they are living their lives.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
I have a lot of these around the house, and some will actually allow feeding by hand once they get used to you, quite unusual to see one around in daytime though, especially a young one.

The Tokay Gecko's native habitat is usually in the rainforest, where it lives on trees and cliffs, but it frequently adapts to rural human habitations, roaming walls and ceilings at night in search of prey. It is a large nocturnal gecko, reaching a total length of up to 30 cm (12 in). The skin is soft to the touch and is generally gray with red speckles, but will change colour to blend into the environment.
Tokay geckos are generally aggressive, territorial, and can inflict a strong bite. They feed on insects, fruit, vegetation and small vertebrates. When threatened or alarmed, Tokay Geckos usually "bark" while opening their mouth in a defensive posture. (wikipedia)

Canon 5R, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, f/11.0, 1/125, Iso 100 10102021_Tokay_01_2048.jpg

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
Such an exotic creature. Is this a wild one?
It often came at night when I was little in my grandma's house. It would make a sound "tokay...tokay.." and it scared me šŸ˜‚.

Reactions: Andy Smith

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Such an exotic creature. Is this a wild one?
It often came at night when I was little in my grandma's house. It would make a sound "tokay...tokay.." and it scared me šŸ˜‚.
Yes this is a wild one, I have about 15 of them living around my house which I see most evenings. Their call is pretty unique and unmistakable also.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Uuhh! Great! Fantastic gecko! So colorful and exotic! You were really lucky to spot this little guy!
He never even blinked or moved while I got close for the shot neither. Obviously did not see me as a threat :) Just hanging on the wall all day.