Lens About EF 24-70 L f2.8 II, is worth it ?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member want's to discuss about the lens specified in the topic.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
I have this lens and it is a beauty, I use it on the R5 with an adapter and it works flawlessly. Still a really great lens if you need f/2.8. I use it for Milky Way shots and it's great at 24mm, but if you don't really need f/2.8 you can look at the 24-105 f/4 L IS II as it comes in a fair bit cheaper and is still a really great lens with more range upto 105mm.
I would say it is worth it yes, if it covers what you need. The RF version is more expensive and I think at least you are able to use the EF lens on both camera types if ever needed.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I have this lens and it is a beauty, I use it on the R5 with an adapter and it works flawlessly. Still a really great lens if you need f/2.8. I use it for Milky Way shots and it's great at 24mm, but if you don't really need f/2.8 you can look at the 24-105 f/4 L IS II as it comes in a fair bit cheaper and is still a really great lens with more range upto 105mm.
The price here in U.K. still didn’t dropped for this lens which is surprising me, because I was expecting to get a bit cheaper due of new RF lens. How’s the image quality ?

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
The price holds because it is an excellent lens, image quality is superb, focus is fast and accurate, and it is sharp throughout. I have never had any issues with this lens on my older 5D mk III, or the new R5. Milky Way shots are great, with no messing around with manual focus really, I just line up the focus with the infinity mark and it is bang on. It should last you a lifetime also.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Thanks Andy Smith Andy Smith , how you find the lens without IS? Are you using tripod all the time? Because all of my lenses having Image Stabilisation, and this one doesn't. I know the new RF one has IS.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Hi Jack, I use a tripod about 50% of the time if I am out doing landscape, but a lot of the time it's just me my camera and my bicycle, so I don't carry the tripod. No issues with IS to be honest, it's a fast lens and good during golden hour. There is an in depth review here if you want a really detailed breakdown: https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/24-70mm-ii.htm, but I agree with what is written there.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
thanks a lot Andy Smith Andy Smith , will look at it, I really want this lens, as everyone said that is very sharp.

Reactions: Andy Smith

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
You will not be disappointed, and you know how it goes anyway - if you really want it then you have probably already done loads of research and are just now justifying the expense to yourself before you pull the trigger.. :)

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Ready to pull the trigger, the reason why I asked, is because I'm planning in the future to upgrade to fullframe mirrorless, and was thinking if going to an EF 24-70 now is good choice, and use the lens on R camera body in the future.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
perfect

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Probably will have to wait for black friday, maybe to get some deal :) . As on Canon website here in UK, the price is around £1900 which is a lot :D