Want critique Adenium Plant flowers

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
I don't have any experience with flower images but I do love flowers, especially in my garden. I have an Adenium in my garden that has just come into bloom and the flowers are gorgeous so I thought I would take a snap. Adeniums are sometimes called Desert Rose, and have unusual and sometimes pretty weird stems, which makes them popular as Bonsai trees.
I appreciate any feedback or critique on how to improve this image and any future flower images.
Thanks all.

Canon R5, Canon RF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, natural light.
f/2.8, ISO 100, 1/160th
flower03_2048 long edge_2253x1570_H_50.jpg

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Very good for an attempt into something new, the colours are very nice, soft bokeh, framing looks good, I dont mind the border at all, suits the subject well. Focus looks excellent, good details and texture. One thing that I noticed is the light. Credit to you for moving away from what is familiar and using more natural light to experiment ( I have been doing a little of this myself lately ) but I do think that this photo needs a little more light. If i had to guess these flowers were in shade and in those conditions I would use some type of lighting, maybe LED torch? If I had to stick to natural light I would either try to position the flower in better light ( if possible ), wait until more light hits the flower or as a last resort raise ISO, but of course you can get a similar result by raising exposure just a little in post. Apart from the low light I think this is a very good result for an early attempt, good job 👍

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Very good for an attempt into something new, the colours are very nice, soft bokeh, framing looks good, I dont mind the border at all, suits the subject well. Focus looks excellent, good details and texture. One thing that I noticed is the light. Credit to you for moving away from what is familiar and using more natural light to experiment ( I have been doing a little of this myself lately ) but I do think that this photo needs a little more light. If i had to guess these flowers were in shade and in those conditions I would use some type of lighting, maybe LED torch? If I had to stick to natural light I would either try to position the flower in better light ( if possible ), wait until more light hits the flower or as a last resort raise ISO, but of course you can get a similar result by raising exposure just a little in post. Apart from the low light I think this is a very good result for an early attempt, good job 👍
Thanks Chavezshutter, the flowers were indeed shaded. I actually also darkened the image down a little in post because I felt the original was too bright and looked over saturated somewhat. Good feedback from you on the light, I will continue to practice and try to improve this.

Reactions: lovitazoe

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
I added a curve adjustment layer to brighten the image. I feel this is better now. What are your thoughts?
Thanks all.

View attachment 21539
Chances are your monitor is better calibrated than mine 😂. But this last version looks spot on to me, I can see the details and background colour contrast better. It looks a bit like dodge and burn, nicely done.

I have to add here that if you were chasing a darker, moodier edit then perhaps my light advice is irrelevant, but that is something you can decide. I have seen this darker style of edit and it can really - pardon the pun - shine in the right scene. One thing I know from experience is that colours are more vibrant in darker settings. So many choices😆.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy Smith