Begginer Advantage of full frame over crop camera

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member opened a beginner discussion, do give the best advice and tips regarding the topic subject.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
This is a bit of beginner topic. But, what's the advantages shooting with full frame instead of crop sensor camera?

I own crop camera at the moment , and probably will have to upgrade in the future for a full frame body.

I know when shooting with a crop camera, you get extra reach, which on Canon is 1.6x.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
A lot of professional photographs still prefers a full frame sensor because you'll get more light on the sensor which means lower ISO noise and a higher dynamic and colour depth.

But you'll need to come closer to your subject compared to an APS-C or MFT sensor which is a big disadvantage for macro photography.

Reactions: Jack

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
I know when shooting with a crop camera, you get extra reach, which on Canon is 1.6x.
that's a huge misconception. you don't get more reach, you get a cropped image, hence the name "crop camera". take any image you currently have and crop it, have you got more reach? no, you just have cropped it.

as Helix_2648 Helix_2648 already pointed, you get better ISO and dinamic range. how much? that depends on the cameras that you compare, but around 1 stop of improvement.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
A lot of professional photographs still prefers a full frame sensor because you'll get more light on the sensor which means lower ISO noise and a higher dynamic and colour depth.

But you'll need to come closer to your subject compared to an APS-C or MFT sensor which is a big disadvantage for macro photography.
So you saying that is better to invest in a full frame body camera instead of CROP?

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
that's a huge misconception. you don't get more reach, you get a cropped image, hence the name "crop camera". take any image you currently have and crop it, have you got more reach? no, you just have cropped it.

as Helix_2648 Helix_2648 already pointed, you get better ISO and dinamic range. how much? that depends on the cameras that you compare, but around 1 stop of improvement.
So by shooting using a crop camera, the photo quality is affected somehow because the sensor is smaller?

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020

the smaller sensor usually has a higher pixel density, meaning smaller pixels and that means more noise. a 24MP FF sensor would show less noise than a 24MP APS-C sensor (if both use the same technology), as to fit the same amount of pixels in a smaller APS-C sensor, the pixels have to be smaller.
if you compare a FF sensor with a similar pixel density or pixel size as an APS-C sensor, that would mean a 61MP FF sensor vs. a 24MP APS-C sensor (using Canon crop factor), things would look really similar in terms of noise, at least when pixel peeping. if you zoom out to view the whole image or print it, the FF sensor will look better, again, as you have to zoom out more due to the higher pixel count and noise is then less noticeable.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

thanks K kzurro , I think that makes sense. I saw a lot of wild life photographers are using APS-C cameras, i believe that due of "extra reach" to the subject.

Is there any advantages of using crop cameras?

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020

Depends on what you want to photograph. An APS-C or MFT might be better for Macros. A FF is for sure better for portrait or landscape photography.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

Thanks Helix_2648 Helix_2648 , I do like to shoot landscape sometimes. I also believe that there is different resolution as well?

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020

I'm not sure but I think yes.