Begginer Advantage of full frame over crop camera

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member opened a beginner discussion, do give the best advice and tips regarding the topic subject.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Camera with crop sensor are good for macro or wildlife photography as long as there is enough light. I always had problems with my Canon 80D because from ISO 800-1600 the noise starts!
With the change to full format (Canon 6DMarkII), I can now shoot higher with the ISO value. However, must get now closer to the object.
Technical differences can be found on the net under "APS-C versus Full Format"
I will have to start saving for a full frame camera. I do agree about extra "reach" on a crop camera. But is there image resolution difference as well?

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I own canon 7d m2, when I had EF-S lens with it, I haven't noticed any crop, when using L lenses on it, I can see the crop. I know that EF L are made most for full frame cameras, and that's probably the reason why on APS-C sensor when using L lenses the crop is noticeable.
A bit outdated but the basics are still relevant, this article goes into more detail:
Thanks @Andy Smith , will have to read that.

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
Crop sensors are 1.6x smaller than full frame so there is your answer right there, larger sensor = more light / less noise, more pixels / sharper image, more light / better colours,
And like Kzurro mentioned, you do not get more reach with a crop, you actually just get a smaller angle of view. So a 50mm lens on a crop sensor only captures an angle of view that is the same as an 80mm full frame, therefore you do not capture as wide a field of view using crop sensors which means less detail.
yeah, no crop difference. the only difference is that the EF-S lens can vignette, while the EF won't, or would be barely noticeable, as the vignetting area of the FF lens is cropped.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I know when shooting with a crop camera, you get extra reach, which on Canon is 1.6x.
that's a huge misconception. you don't get more reach, you get a cropped image, hence the name "crop camera". take any image you currently have and crop it, have you got more reach? no, you just have cropped it.

as @Helix_2648 already pointed, you get better ISO and dinamic range. how much? that depends on the cameras that you compare, but around 1 stop of improvement.
I bet that camera isn’t cheap at all. But is there any quality difference when using lenses from crop to ff ? I meant, I’m very happy now with images Quality when shooting with my 7d m2. But how this will perform on a full frame ?

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Crop sensors are 1.6x smaller than full frame so there is your answer right there, larger sensor = more light / less noise, more pixels / sharper image, more light / better colours,
And like Kzurro mentioned, you do not get more reach with a crop, you actually just get a smaller angle of view. So a 50mm lens on a crop sensor only captures an angle of view that is the same as an 80mm full frame, therefore you do not capture as wide a field of view using crop sensors which means less detail.
Thanks K kzurro , this make sense now.

MinitecaPhotographie

Legend TEAM
3 3 1
May 9, 2020
I'd like to express my point of view as I do only macrophotography. I began with a Nikon D3200 and after a D7200 which are both Apsc crop sensors. Now I've changed to a more croped sensor as I use a Olympus OM-D e-m10 mk3 with MFT sensor.
The ISO problem isn't a real problem as I shoot with a flash everytime. The image quality is according to me as nice as with my D7200 and resolution of 16Mpixels on a MFT sensor is equivalent to 32Mpx on a FF sensor (regarding the size of photosites) as the MFT is two times smaller than the FF sensor.
So yes I'm fan of my MFT sensor which allows me with my Laowa 50mm supermacro lens 2:1 to reach a photo frame field of 6x9mm.

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
I know when shooting with a crop camera, you get extra reach, which on Canon is 1.6x.
that's a huge misconception. you don't get more reach, you get a cropped image, hence the name "crop camera". take any image you currently have and crop it, have you got more reach? no, you just have cropped it.

as @Helix_2648 already pointed, you get better ISO and dinamic range. how much? that depends on the cameras that you compare, but around 1 stop of improvement.
if you check any lens review website or youtube channel, you would find that FF lenses always perform worse on APS-C cameras and the reason again is that, usually, there are a lot more pixels on the area of an APS-C sensor than on the same area of a FF one.

this guy is a good example. he usually shows how lenses perform on both FF and APS-C cameras.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

so you saying if I'm using FF lenses on my crop camera, the photo quality won't be the best?

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I'd like to express my point of view as I do only macrophotography. I began with a Nikon D3200 and after a D7200 which are both Apsc crop sensors. Now I've changed to a more croped sensor as I use a Olympus OM-D e-m10 mk3 with MFT sensor.
The ISO problem isn't a real problem as I shoot with a flash everytime. The image quality is according to me as nice as with my D7200 and resolution of 16Mpixels on a MFT sensor is equivalent to 32Mpx on a FF sensor (regarding the size of photosites) as the MFT is two times smaller than the FF sensor.
So yes I'm fan of my MFT sensor which allows me with my Laowa 50mm supermacro lens 2:1 to reach a photo frame field of 6x9mm.
Thanks for your opinion MinitecaPhotographie MinitecaPhotographie , I'm still using crop camera, but the reason I'm asking is, I'm thinking to upgrade maybe next year to full frame mirrorless camera.