Your opinion? Air bubble frozen in an ice cube

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.

Gravastar8A0

Sep 22, 2021
image0 (2).jpeg

When first trying to get into macrophotography with my beginner gear I had real trouble trying to get enough light. This led me to the idea of using ice cubes in my bourbon as targets as I could shoot right through them and directly into my light source. I've finally obtained a flash and diffuser kit so my range of subjects is expanding, but these shots have kind of become my specialty for now.

Hand held shot with a Canon 250D with the 18-55 kit lens set at 18 with 36mm of extension tube, f16, 1/400. Light source is a lume cube panel mini from the side, and some of the texture on the bubble is a reflection of a shiny piece of construction paper underneath. Bourbon is a little extra red due to the addition of a few splashes of bitters

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Ice cubes, that's a good idea and good start to get into macro photography. I think you can add different lights and achieving unique photos.

Reactions: Gravastar8A0

Chavezshutter

Staff member
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Nice textures and colours. Nice lighting too. Was there much movement in the scence you were trying to freeze? If not try a slower shutter and lower your ISO. Apart from that looking goodšŸ‘

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Interesting motif. I had to read the text to find out what it is and after that I was surprised about the idea as well as the result. It's abstract but fascinating. Looks somehow bit like a blood platelets in a vein.

Gravastar8A0

Sep 22, 2021
Ice cubes, that's a good idea and good start to get into macro photography. I think you can add different lights and achieving unique photos.
Most of the target bubbles are much smaller and kind of weirder than this one, so definitely a lot of unique results so far. Adding a cherry to the drink makes for some interesting reflections and as soon as I read "add different lights" in your post I thought of circling the glass with some led lights...we'll see - thanks for the idea!

Reactions: Jack

Gravastar8A0

Sep 22, 2021
Nice textures and colours. Nice lighting too. Was there much movement in the scence you were trying to freeze? If not try a slower shutter and lower your ISO. Apart from that looking goodšŸ‘
Yeah, the movement is from me since I prefer hand held shots so I can quickly change angles and try new perspectives. I don't have the steadiest hands in the world but in compensating for it I discovered an overall preference for the quality of my photographs at higher shutter speeds - though a big influence there may be that most of my day to day photography subjects are fast moving dogs. I have been relying on auto ISO setting, and just this week was made aware of the pitfalls there. I just spent an hour or so taking some shots where I'm controlling the ISO instead of the camera and am very pleased with one of the results. Thank you for the input!

• Italian Face
Reactions: Chavezshutter

Gravastar8A0

Sep 22, 2021
Interesting motif. I had to read the text to find out what it is and after that I was surprised about the idea as well as the result. It's abstract but fascinating. Looks somehow bit like a blood platelets in a vein.
I thought of blood as well! This particular shot was a lot more about the texture of what is actually a much larger bubble than usually shows up in my cubes. I hope to share more but looking over my older shots I saw issues with focus and composition that made me hesitant to do so, but I know a good one is coming up soon :)