Your opinion? An old trick with a twist...water drop refraction

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
Sony A7iii, Laowa 100mm f 2.8 x2 macro lens, ISO 100, 1/5 second, f/6.3, tripod

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hello,

It has been a while since I have posted one of these, I do practice them from time to time and since getting an auto rail I have been trying to do stacked versions
but this one here is a single shot while trying to get back some old skills. The green leaf is a type of 4 leaf clover or shamrock which is fuzzy and repels water nicely to make round droplets, the flower in the background is a pink gerbera where i have placed most of my lighy in order to light the scene, this refraction shot was made shooting vertically which I havent done since I started doing this type of shooting a few years back. Hope you like it

_DSC4824-1.jpg

Last edited:

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
Hmm..I feel the background colour is too strong and the 5 clear water droplets on the leaves are a bit distracting.
But the reflection of gerbera in water droplets,in between the leaves, are so lovely. They remind me of epoxy resin flowers used for jewelry ♥️.

• Smiling Face
Reactions: Chavezshutter

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
Those are some really strong colors for sure. Just curious, because I've dabbled a bit trying this myself with no real success, how far away from the droplets in the clover was the flower? A couple inches, or farther?

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hmm..I feel the background colour is too strong and the 5 clear water droplets on the leaves are a bit distracting.
But the reflection of gerbera in water droplets,in between the leaves, are so lovely. They remind me of epoxy resin flowers used for jewelry ♥️.
Hmm🤔, the colour of the flower is actually pretty close to the flower I used. I always look for striking colours in the background flower for these type of shoots and I have a pretty good florist 😁. My default settings for Lightroom are +18 for Vibrance and -7 for saturation which quite conservative. One thing I am guilty of is boosting the green leaf's colour, exposure,highlights,etc which might be throwing off the colour of the whole scene. I might redo the edit with more localized adjustments rather than universal, here is what the photo raw looked like before my edit...

_DSC4824-1-2.jpg

I was also unsure about the droplets on the leaf but that was the outcome from spending a long time placing droplets with a syringe in the right spots sometimes even successfully 😆. Placing the droplets is by far the hardest part of this photo, water rarely stays where you want it to and if the leaf becomes saturated with water the droplets are no longer round but will flatten out instead which wont work. I may well composite them away in my revised edit.

Thanks for your comments🙏

Last edited:
  • Smiling Face
Reactions: lovitazoe

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Pin sharp Chavezshutter Chavezshutter .I really love how you did it here. Have you used the spray as well?
no spray, for this to work I needed the droplets to sit on the edge of the leaves and that requires a syringe, a steady hand and a lot of patience 😆.. the extra droplets on the leaf are little mishaps which I decided to keep, I shot this over a few hours and this was one frame I chose, some of the others were better in some ways but not good in others so I went with this one 😊

• Wow
Reactions: Jack

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Those are some really strong colors for sure. Just curious, because I've dabbled a bit trying this myself with no real success, how far away from the droplets in the clover was the flower? A couple inches, or farther?
I need to thank both you and lovitazoe lovitazoe for making me look at the colour aspect from a different point of view. My stance on colour was that if the colour is true to life then its fine, it had never occurred to me that even an accurate colour can be too strong and I have never approached an edit from that perspective, thank you ladies !!🙏

For this shot my flower was about 3 inches away from the droplets, it probably could have been a touch closer and I would have had less black circles around each refracted flower within the drops. The distance will vary depending on the size of the flower, closer for smaller flowers and further for bigger ones, try to fill the droplet with as much of the flower as possible without trimming the edges in the image within the refraction image, also light the flower mostly and not the drop so much. Let me know if you need any tips.

• Smiling Face
Reactions: Tina Boes

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
no spray, for this to work I needed the droplets to sit on the edge of the leaves and that requires a syringe, a steady hand and a lot of patience 😆.. the extra droplets on the leaf are little mishaps which I decided to keep, I shot this over a few hours and this was one frame I chose, some of the others were better in some ways but not good in others so I went with this one 😊
You had to do a delicate job to achieve this photo . Especially using a syringe for droplets. I would love to see the set up, just interesting 🧐

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Interesting idea and technique even if I have to agree to lovitazoe lovitazoe. I would prefer a bit more light on the leaves without the other droplets and maybe a yellow or orange flower. But that's just my opinion.