Your opinion? Australian Bush Bee (Austroplebeia australis)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
Sony a7iii, Canon 100mm EF macro lens, ISO 200, f/14, 1/125 sec, flash, handheld, extension tube

Chavezshutter

Staff member
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hello,

I saw this insect on a morning glory flower in my front yard, initially i thought it was a winged ant, something quite common here at spring time, but when i looked closer I noticed it was a very small bee, so I am glad I decided to photograph it. These very small bees do not have a sting and are Australian native bees which I would have never noticed had i not photographed it, to the naked eye they certainly dont look like bees at all.
DSC02682-Edit.jpg

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I really missed you Chavezshutter Chavezshutter , especially your images. Hope you are well and safe.

Weird but the head looks like an ant to me.

I think that's kind of a new bee, probably each country has some unique insects which other countries doesn't.

Regarding photo, I love it. Good colours and very very sharp.

• Love
Reactions: Chavezshutter

Chavezshutter

Staff member
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Thanks for all your comments, I have been thrilled to find this different bee species in my front garden which I was unaware of earlier. These small bees are about 4mm long (about 1/4 the size of a European honeybee) and I am happy to say quite abundant at this time of year. Jack Jack Thanks mate, hopefully I have more time to post pics now that things are returning to normal here with lockdown ending. Here is another shot of this beautiful bee, hope you like it.
DSC02719-Edit.jpg
Sony A7iii, Canon 100mm EF Macro lens, ISO 250, f/10, 1/250 sec, flash with DIY pringle snoot, handheld

Reactions: Mongrel and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Glad that you back Chavezshutter Chavezshutter . Hope you are well. I know, everyone is busy during this time of the year. But yes, hope they will be back. You have missed couple of things I guess. Check out our classified page.

Regarding photo, looks pin sharp. Have you added a lot of contrast?