Lens Auto Rikenon 55mm f/1.4

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member want's to discuss about the lens specified in the topic.

panos_adgr

1 2
Apr 23, 2020
Do you have a lot of vintage lenses panos_adgr panos_adgr ?

Not any more....

I use to have all the kiev 19 lenses (Nikon Mount) and almost all of the 'modern' Zenit lenses. Some of them are very expensive now. I use to own also the legendary Helios 40-2 85mm f/1.5 which costs now in Mint about 400-500 euros...

No I own;
1 Auto Rekinon 55mm f/1.4 (Singlex mount / Nikon F type version)
2 copies of Helios 81n 50mm f/2.0 (Nikon F mount)
1 copy of Jupiter 9 MC 85mm f/2.0 (M42 mount with adaptor)
1 copy of Midori 28mm f/2.8 (Nikon F mount)
1 copy Sun Actinon Macro Zoom lens 70-210mm f/3.8 1:4 (Nikon F mount) It needs to be cleaned.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Not any more....

I use to have all the kiev 19 lenses (Nikon Mount) and almost all of the 'modern' Zenit lenses. Some of them are very expensive now. I use to own also the legendary Helios 40-2 85mm f/1.5 which costs now in Mint about 400-500 euros...

No I own;
1 Auto Rekinon 55mm f/1.4 (Singlex mount / Nikon F type version)
2 copies of Helios 81n 50mm f/2.0 (Nikon F mount)
1 copy of Jupiter 9 MC 85mm f/2.0 (M42 mount with adaptor)
1 copy of Midori 28mm f/2.8 (Nikon F mount)
1 copy Sun Actinon Macro Zoom lens 70-210mm f/3.8 1:4 (Nikon F mount) It needs to be cleaned.

That's really interesting. I'm thinking to create a category for vintage lenses. What do you think? šŸ¤”

I have never owned any vintage lenses before, but I'm assuming they will become more expensive in future.

Reactions: panos_adgr

panos_adgr

1 2
Apr 23, 2020
That's really interesting. I'm thinking to create a category for vintage lenses. What do you think? šŸ¤”

I have never owned any vintage lenses before, but I'm assuming they will become more expensive in future.

It would be great if you make a category of Vintage lenses!

Vintage lenses are very popular in macro photography! There are a lot of people who use vintage lenses with extension tubes for macro photography. Their optical formulas and characteristics create unique results! Their optical flaws are often used on purpose to achieve effects. Also there are some unique optical designs even for todays lenses that make photographers hunt them like crazy. Prices in ebay are going up all the time even for lenses that are low on demand.

Also Youtubers affect prices.
In example.... You could buy sometime ago a Rekinon 55mm f/1.4 with M42 mount for 30 to 50 dollars. After it became popular (especially from Ken Wheeler aka Angry Photographer and some others) the price went up to 140 dollars to 250+ for mint.

Vintage lenses are also extremely popular to videographers!

All this hype have made some companies to produce again some old popular lenses. In example. Meyer Optik produces again the 50mm and 100mm trioplans (3 element optical formula aka trioplan) or even Zenitar, that produces the popular zenitar 16mm f/2.8. Even the Helios 40-2 85mm f/1.5 is produced again in modern body and with many mounts....

They are popular (not all of them) for their unique bokeh characters (depended on the optical formula) their sharpness or softness, their colour rendition (especially for those that are made with glass mix containing Radioactive Thorium or Lanthanum which have the properties of not refracting the light when passing from the glass)

Last edited:

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
It would be great if you make a category of Vintage lenses!

Vintage lenses are very popular in macro photography! There are a lot of people who use vintage lenses with extension tubes for macro photography. Their optical formulas and characteristics create unique results! Their optical flaws are often used on purpose to achieve effects. Also there are some unique optical designs even for todays lenses that make photographers hunt them like crazy. Prices in ebay are going up all the time even for lenses that are low on demand.

Also Youtubers affect prices.
In example.... You could by sometime ago a Rekinon 55mm f/1.4 with M42 mount for 30 to 50 dollars. After it became popular (especially from Ken Wheeler aka Angry Photographer and some others) the price went up to 140 dollars to 250+ for mint.

Vintage lenses are also extremely popular to videographers!

All this hype have made some companies to produce again some old popular lenses. In example. Meyer Optik produces again the 50mm and 100mm trioplans (3 element optical formula aka trioplan) or even Zenitar, that produces the popular zenitar 16mm f/2.8. Even the Helios 40-2 85mm f/1.5 is produced again in modern body and with many mounts....

They are popular (not all of them) for their unique bokeh characters (depended on the optical formula) their sharpness or softness, their colour rendition (especially for those that are made with glass mix containing Radioactive Thorium or Lanthanum which have the properties of not refracting the light when passing from the glass)

I can imagine how popular and expensive. You can open a suggestion here panos_adgr panos_adgr if you'd like

I think I will open a category for vintage owners.

• Love

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
panos_adgr panos_adgr This is fantastic, I've only turned my attention to vintage lenses in the last 6 months or so its all pretty new to me in this area, but even i can see the character on these lenses is amazing and unique, you cant recreate that with editing, you can get somewhat close but nothing like the real thing. I found this video a while back and this was what made me take more notice of vintage glass: 5 REASONS WHY YOU NEED VINTAGE LENSES IN 2020

Helios lens is legendary, check out in the vid how they do full body upgrades and get turned into cine lens šŸ˜² i was amazed. Keeping an eye on this thread, thank you very much for sharingšŸ™

panos_adgr

1 2
Apr 23, 2020
panos_adgr panos_adgr This is fantastic, I've only turned my attention to vintage lenses in the last 6 months or so its all pretty new to me in this area, but even i can see the character on these lenses is amazing and unique, you cant recreate that with editing, you can get somewhat close but nothing like the real thing. I found this video a while back and this was what made me take more notice of vintage glass: 5 REASONS WHY YOU NEED VINTAGE LENSES IN 2020

Helios lens is legendary, check out in the vid how they do full body upgrades and get turned into cine lens šŸ˜² i was amazed. Keeping an eye on this thread, thank you very much for sharingšŸ™
I have personal experience with Helios.
I own 2 copies of helios 81n 50mm f/3.0 and in the past I owned the legendary helios 40-2 85mm f/1. 5 which I hope will buy in the future and the helios 44-2. Amazing lenses.

I also owned the tair 11a the Mir 10a the Mir 24n the kaleinar 5n the jupiter 21 and a few others.... I regret the day that me and my father gave them away in an exchange with a Canon eos camera kit... If we only knew what we were doing back then. We also had the Kiev 60 with some pentacon 6 mount Russian lenses.... They cost a fortune now....