Best way to clean camera sensor

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hi. I have an issue with my 7d m2. It appears some kind of dust on my images, but the thing, is that the dust is visible on the photo is only when I use too much dehaze on Lightroom.

Any advice?

I have spoke with K kzurro on an other thread, but I believe this one is better.

IMG_20210608_205039.jpg

IMG_20210608_205029.jpg

IMG_20210608_204939.jpg

Any advice please?

Solution
I have the cleaning kits and following directions, they work really well. Make sure you order the right size kit for your sensor. There are some great youtube videos that show how to do it. Best advice on the swab sticks, don't push hard!
Also, instead of the white card, I did the following:
Nikon D7100 sensor cleaning, before and after.
I was astounded at the test shot of the before cleaning I did on that sensor. I was scared at first, but with youtube video help and my sensor cleaning kit, the difference is amazing.
I set the camera to ISO 100, aperture f/16 (highest for the 50mm lens), pointed at a blue sky and took two test shots. Then did the cleaning and repeated the test shots. In post edit, I set the dehaze slider in lightroom...

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
take a photo of a white wall using an aperture of f/22. if the wall has texture, focus to infinity and take the shot "at macro distance" to the wall, to make the texture as blurry as possible.

Reactions: lovitazoe and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
take a photo of a white wall using an aperture of f/22. if the wall has texture, focus to infinity and take the shot "at macro distance" to the wall, to make the texture as blurry as possible.
Does it matter with what lens ?

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
A white piece of paper will work as well. You can use a bellow in the first step. If there are still dust particles on the sensor I wold suggest to use a cleaning kit. It mostly contains plastic sticks with a layer of fabric and a cleaning liquid.

I use it from time to time and I'm totally satisfied with it! The liquid evaporates without any residues. The kits are available for all kinds of sensors and the plastic sticks are adapted to the width of your sensor to just make a left to right movement.

Reactions: Tina Boes and Jack

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
I have the cleaning kits and following directions, they work really well. Make sure you order the right size kit for your sensor. There are some great youtube videos that show how to do it. Best advice on the swab sticks, don't push hard!
I was astounded at the test shot of the before cleaning I did on that sensor. I was scared at first, but with youtube video help and my sensor cleaning kit, the difference is amazing.
I set the camera to ISO 100, aperture f/16 (highest for the 50mm lens), pointed at a blue sky and took two test shots. Then did the cleaning and repeated the test shots. In post edit, I set the dehaze slider in lightroom classic to maximum and that brought out every little spot and smudge like magic. This was a seriously dirty sensor, even though I had cleaned it last year once.
I hope this helps! I did one more cleaning afterward because there were still some areas that I wasn't happy with.

camera sensor cleaing-.jpg camera sensor cleaing--2.jpg

Reactions: Jack
Solution

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I set the camera to ISO 100, aperture f/16 (highest for the 50mm lens), pointed at a blue sky and took two test shots. Then did the cleaning and repeated the test shots. In post edit, I set the dehaze slider in lightroom classic to maximum and that brought out every little spot and smudge like magic. This was a seriously dirty sensor, even though I had cleaned it last year once.
I hope this helps! I did one more cleaning afterward because there were still some areas that I wasn't happy with.

View attachment 18059View attachment 18060
Your sensor looks very clean. I still have this issue on my 7d m2. I tried to clean the sensor with a cotton cloth, but I can’t really push to much the cloth as I don’t want to damage anything. Did you sprayed any solution on when cleaning ?

Rune

Jul 13, 2021
I just cleaned my sensor. Used a product called green clean which is the only thing I could get here in norway. First batch I bought left a film on the sensor!:eek: Bought a new one which worked fine and removed all dust and the film.
This is a nice video explaining it:
Just be careful if your camera has IBIS. I had to leave mine on while doing it to hold the sensor still. This guy has a god with for mine camera the X-T4:

Reactions: Jack
Status
Not open for further replies.