Best way to clean camera sensor

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hi. I have an issue with my 7d m2. It appears some kind of dust on my images, but the thing, is that the dust is visible on the photo is only when I use too much dehaze on Lightroom.

Any advice?

I have spoke with @kzurro on an other thread, but I believe this one is better.

IMG_20210608_205039.jpg

IMG_20210608_205029.jpg

IMG_20210608_204939.jpg

Any advice please?

Solution
I have the cleaning kits and following directions, they work really well. Make sure you order the right size kit for your sensor. There are some great youtube videos that show how to do it. Best advice on the swab sticks, don't push hard!
Also, instead of the white card, I did the following:
Nikon D7100 sensor cleaning, before and after.
I was astounded at the test shot of the before cleaning I did on that sensor. I was scared at first, but with youtube video help and my sensor cleaning kit, the difference is amazing.
I set the camera to ISO 100, aperture f/16 (highest for the 50mm lens), pointed at a blue sky and took two test shots. Then did the cleaning and repeated the test shots. In post edit, I set the dehaze slider in lightroom...

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
Your sensor looks very clean. I still have this issue on my 7d m2. I tried to clean the sensor with a cotton cloth, but I can’t really push to much the cloth as I don’t want to damage anything. Did you sprayed any solution on when cleaning ?
Jack, I did not spray anything directly on the sensor. The liquid (a small amount) goes on the swab stick that is used to gently wipe one direction, then the opposite direction.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Jack, I did not spray anything directly on the sensor. The liquid (a small amount) goes on the swab stick that is used to gently wipe one direction, then the opposite direction.
what kind of swab stick are you using ? And what liquid? Still a bit worried to do it myself, but I have to.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I just cleaned my sensor. Used a product called green clean which is the only thing I could get here in norway. First batch I bought left a film on the sensor!:eek: Bought a new one which worked fine and removed all dust and the film.
This is a nice video explaining it:
Just be careful if your camera has IBIS. I had to leave mine on while doing it to hold the sensor still. This guy has a god with for mine camera the X-T4:

Are these videos made by you Rune Rune ?

G

Guest 1012

I bought a cleaning kit for 20-30$ and never looked back. BTW, don't worry guys, the sensor has two pieces of glass in front of it, so you're not touching the sensor directly when cleaning it, just the glass.

Reactions: Rune

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
what kind of swab stick are you using ? And what liquid? Still a bit worried to do it myself, but I have to.
Jack, the liquid comes with the kit as well as the swabs. Everything is included, mine had a blower/duster and such also. Got mine on Amazon. Just look for Camera lens sensor cleaning kit and look for one that matches your camera's sensor size. :)

Reactions: Jack

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
That was what I was talking about before. It's mostly a set with 10 sticks and a little bottle of cleaning liquid. You use one drop of it for one stick and slide it from left to right over your sensor. The width depends on your sensor and the kit you buy. There are kits available for all types of sensors and they have exactly the wide of the sensor. So you need to slide it just from left to right without any pressure. The liquid evaporates without residues after cleaning.

Reactions: Jack and Tina Boes
Status
Not open for further replies.