Android Blast from the past Galaxy S2 + cheap magnetic macro lens

The photo attached to this topic has been taken by an Android product (phone).

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
I just rediscovered some really old pictures I've taken with my first smartphone. Galaxy S2 + a cheap stick on macro lens thingy.

The photos are completely unedited, I just wanted to share them here because I'm actually impressed what that archaic cam and a cheap accesoire could do.

Larva in a pinecone

Blooming lichen

Tiny moss

Moss growing from lichen

Last edited:

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
I got the galaxy s2, real good smartphone, I gave it to my mother, and it always work good lol ! For an old smartphone with macro lens, i find the pictures very good ! Very interesting ! I was looking for a cheap macro lens for my actual smartphone but i don't find it ... If you find something for Oneplus 6T i'm very interested !

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
Yeah the S2 was great. I used mine till it fell apart. Greg I think the problem with modern stick on lenses is that they have to be designed for multilens phones. So they are mostly made to be screwed onto a clamp which is put above the camera. This makes them wiggly and hard to position perfectly over the sensor. As the old lens I used for those shots was pre multicam era it had a magnetic ring and you glued a small metal ring around the phone's cam. So it always was positioned the same and centered perfectly. That's not possible anymore without gluing over the additional lenses on a modern phone. I had a clamp lens but wasn't that satisfied with it.

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
I tried and it works well but the matter with my phone is that the camera is on the center, so i must get a long clamp and i didn't found it ...

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
The quality looks ok but that's nothing I would save on my HDD. But that mainly caused because I'm not a fan of smartphone pictures in general. I've a A71 and use it sometimes to take some pictures but I mostly don't save them. I need an aperture and a switchable lens. All other don't work for me.

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
Helix_2648 I totally understand. Nowadays I only use the phone for snapshots when I don't have a camera with me. For artistic purpose I don't use it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…