Want critique Blue Bottle Fly

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.
EXIF
ISO100, f/11, 1/40s Canon 60D, Canon 100mmUSM Macro, Raynox DCR-250

Rick

Sep 24, 2020
Still experimenting with a light cage I built last weekend.
This is a stack of 74 images taken on a Wemacro Rail at 54um steps, stacked in Zerene Stacker (PMax output) and then touched up in Photoshop.
I had two lights directly above and two on the sides pointing towards the centre of the fly.
Also had a mirror underneath reflecting light under the head but I think I really need more lights to get underneath and deeper into the abdomen.
Really happy with this how this has turned out but always looking to improve further.
Please fire away with any suggestions!

Attachments

• Fly - Front Profile.jpg
    Fly - Front Profile.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 19

Rick

Sep 24, 2020
Very good stack !!! I really love details on the eyes !
Thanks mate! I was really happy with how clean it stacked. Really looking forward to imaging a wasp or hornet with this method.

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
I don't get so great details with my stacks, I need more training ^^ How did you do ? With a rail ? Bracketing function ?

Rick

Sep 24, 2020
I don't get so great details with my stacks, I need more training ^^ How did you do ? With a rail ? Bracketing function ?
Yes, I used a Wemacro rail. The steps were 55 microns so lots of overlap :) I stacked in Zerene Stacker which I purchased last night and found the PMax output gave the best result for this image.
I loaded all of the files into a single stack and thankfully I worked well. I did expect I’d have to do slabbing so was pleasantly surprised!

panos_adgr

1 2
Apr 23, 2020
Perfect work!

Excellent details! Excellent colours! Excellent from any technical point! Love it!

Reactions: Rick