Camera Industry is dying ?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hi. I found this image today , and decided to share with you and to discuss about it.
As you see here, the Camera indutry looks like is dying , as more and more people are using their phones for photography.

5782.jpg

Image Source: Statista

What do you think about it? I think it's great topic to discuss, as this will affect every photographer.

Reactions: Greg

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
I discuss about it yesterday with a french on facebook.
Today, mobile phones can make great photos.
Before, if you go on holidays, if wan't photos, you must bought a camera for this (amateur).
Today everybody has phone and can take picture for holidays ^^ no need to buy cameras.

For exemple, for 500€ you can buy a mobile phone and you have :
  • Phone
  • Internet
  • Video games
  • Camera

For photos, with 500 you have a camera with a simple lens, that's all.

Reflex are heavy, and require experience, that can afraid people.
Mirrorless can require experience and as relfex, money for lens.
Compacts are the same thing as photophone but you only got camera.

The last photophones can make macro mode, high angle too, great portrait and landscapes, sensor with 100 mpix.
When you don't know photography you read : 100 mpix on a 1000€ phone , 24 mpix for a 1000€ camera ... what a joke ! so you buy a photophone ^^

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Images made by phone are great till you decide to do prints or you zoom it on bigger screen. And I do Agree with you, these days you can buy a very decent phone camera for half price which might cost a professional camera with a good glass.

But still don’t think, phones will replace cameras any soon, I think we discussed about this with Chavezshutter Chavezshutter on an other topic.

To shoot with phone is good for those who thinks to get into photography or just doing it for fun.

Yohanna_D

Legend TEAM
3 2 1
Jul 14, 2020
Greg Greg is right; there is a huge difference between "pictures" = photo and photography; and yes, mobile phones tend to replace the reflex cameras unfortunately.

Reactions: Jack

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
The reason for this is the same as the reason why we don't have a high activity on our forum. Our generation as well as the newer generations becomes more and more disinterested and lazy to deal with topics or even incur expenses. They just buy a smartphone (of course the newest one to just show their environment that they can do it) to take pictures which no one looks a second or third time. Often just to show stupid selfies from themselves which no one really needs. The number of people who are really interested in a hobby becomes lower and lower.

All other are just use their FB / Insta account to easily upload pictures and check from time to time their likes. But those are not interested in taking time to really have a look to pictures from others not to give comments. Too much effort... and even those people would never spend a lot of money for a DSLR or a mirroless camera.

HarryG

Aug 1, 2020
Sadly, Helix is spot on. It takes time, effort and lots of patience to learn real photography with a DSLR camera - as I am finding out. Personally, that challenge is part of the fun. I find photography therapeutic. It gets me outdoors, I am learning so much about the environemnt around me, and when I am absorbed in the challenges of shooting new subjects, I forget about my worries. Perhaps the industry could do more to promote the many benefits of photography.

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
I discovered instagram a few mouth and this is a good place, I talk with an indian who make photograpy, and macro. He asked my what camera i use, i answer :"reflex, and you ? cause your pictures are very good !" and he aswer me :"i use an old phone" . OMG you can take very good picture with phone. Ok, phone picture got limits, good for network, sharing but not for computer screens, and printing. But we can see newbies taking very good pictures with phone, without spending time to learn photography, without buying 500€ lens

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
You made good point Helix_2648 Helix_2648 , unfortunately that's real and true. Nowadays young generation doesn't care about art, or about proper photography. What they are looking for quick likes, fame... That's why I don't like facebook, twitters, instagram or other similar platform where you are acting like a robot, scrolling to infinite and now room for own opinion.

Sadly not everyone will understand the purpose of forums, and for the future photography will be like myth , and such of forums like this one, will be very few, and same photographers more fewer. These big platforms they are focused on quick income, and they aren't focused on members needs.

Also you might want to check this video, which I watched an other day.

I might not follow own rules here, but that video is related to present.

Sadly, Helix is spot on. It takes time, effort and lots of patience to learn real photography with a DSLR camera - as I am finding out. Personally, that challenge is part of the fun. I find photography therapeutic. It gets me outdoors, I am learning so much about the environemnt around me, and when I am absorbed in the challenges of shooting new subjects, I forget about my worries. Perhaps the industry could do more to promote the many benefits of photography.

Yes , photography is a way to be yourself and doing something else apart from everyday routine or escape it.

I discovered instagram a few mouth and this is a good place, I talk with an indian who make photograpy, and macro. He asked my what camera i use, i answer :"reflex, and you ? cause your pictures are very good !" and he aswer me :"i use an old phone" . OMG you can take very good picture with phone. Ok, phone picture got limits, good for network, sharing but not for computer screens, and printing. But we can see newbies taking very good pictures with phone, without spending time to learn photography, without buying 500€ lens

Yes, you can make great images with your phone and using these filters, but that's not an art at all :)

Reactions: HarryG