• Dear guest, in order to become a member you'll have to fill an application form. Please note, it takes up to 5 working days to get a response.Apply for Membership . Thanks.

CANON EF 100 mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens

Compatible
Canon EF-mount
Ideal
Macro
Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now! (Invited only)

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
Mar 13, 2020
I don't know the other version so I can't tell you if it's better or not; but the one I rated is really good, it's the one I am using currently and it's awesome. :)

Because I have an other version, and i like it a well. But never checked this lens, I meant, i checked but i did not purchasEd because doesn’t have IS

Reactions: Yohanna_D

Yohanna_D

Forum Mentor
Mentor
Jul 14, 2020
You know my opinion on stabilizers, to me, I don't really need it; I can handle the lens without this option ;)

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
Mar 13, 2020
You know my opinion on stabilizers, to me, I don't really need it; I can handle the lens without this option ;)

It is hard to take images without IS ?As far as I know, lenses without Is require tripod .

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Aug 4, 2020
This was the first macro lens I ever bought, it was matched with my trusty old Canon 30D which was the camera that I first learned photography on. I still use both the camera and the lenses from time to time. Obviously my experience with the lens will vary with a camera that's 14+ years old but I found it to be a very good, sharp lens with a sturdy build.

I personally had very few instances where i needed IS with it as i prefer to either use flash or previously LED lights to light my subject. I also did not get to try things such as extension tubes with this lens, where I may felt the need for IS much more. Overall, this for me was a great lens to learn some macro concepts. I only wish I could have experienced it with a newer camera body to see its full potential. I've since upgraded to newer camera and lenses from another manufacturer

Last edited:

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
Mar 13, 2020
This was the first macro lens I ever bought, it was matched with my trusty old Canon 30D which was the camera that I first learned photography on. I still use both the camera and the lenses from time to time. Obviously my experience with the lens will vary with a camera that's 14+ years old but I found it to be a very good, sharp lens with a sturdy build.

I personally had very few instances where i needed IS with it as i prefer to either use flash or previously LED lights to light my subject. I also did not get to try things such as extension tubes with this lens, where I may felt the need for IS much more. Overall, this for me was a great lens to learn some macro concepts. I only wish I could have experienced it with a newer camera body to see its full potential. I've since upgraded to newer camera and lenses from another manufacturer

In terms of quality, is there big difference between L versions and non ? If you have tried L version of course.

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Aug 4, 2020
I have not personally used the L version, though i know a bit about it. Apart from IS, I believe the L may be sharper at the wider end, but that's by a fraction. With no real world use from me I'm only rephrasing what I've heard about it.