CANON EF 100 mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens

Compatible
Canon EF-mount
Ideal
Macro
Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I have not personally used the L version, though i know a bit about it. Apart from IS, I believe the L may be sharper at the wider end, but that's by a fraction. With no real world use from me I'm only rephrasing what I've heard about it.

Alright, when I had to choose between L version and non, I decided to go with L because of image stabilisation . As i don’t really carry my tripod with me all the time. But as Yohanna_D Yohanna_D mentioned above that you can shoot handheld , than it’s make this lens to be right fit .

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
It is hard to take images without IS ?As far as I know, lenses without Is require tripod .
Not always Jack Jack. My 60mm macro has also no IS and you know my pictures. Almost all pictures from the last weeks was taken without a tripod. I agree that it helps sometimes but a tripod is no mandatory if you have no IS.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Not always Jack Jack. My 60mm macro has also no IS and you know my pictures. Almost all pictures from the last weeks was taken without a tripod. I agree that it helps sometimes but a tripod is no mandatory if you have no IS.

I wish I knew this before purchasing L version. As the price is really different between L and non L

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
IS is nice, it helps of course (unless you forget about it and leave it on while on tripod:LOL: ). Personally when I do hand held, extension tubes and tighter shots that's when I really feel the advantage of IS. Apart from that there is video of course but who is going to do that with a macro lens? Crazy talk...Microcosmos anyone?? 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
IS is nice, it helps of course (unless you forget about it and leave it on while on tripod:LOL: ). Personally when I do hand held, extension tubes and tighter shots that's when I really feel the advantage of IS. Apart from that there is video of course but who is going to do that with a macro lens? Crazy talk...Microcosmos anyone?? 😁

I don't usually having tripod with me, so all my lenses has IS, which gives me an easy life :D

Reactions: Chavezshutter