Photography Canon L series lenses

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hi. And other great topic to discuss. Those who are shooting with Canon lenses, you think that L series lenses are worth the money And investment?

I own couple of them , and so far happy . But would like to know Others opinion to.

[HASH=670]#canon[/HASH] [HASH=671]#lenses[/HASH] [HASH=10]#photography[/HASH]

G

Guest 1012

I never had interest in investing in L lenses. IMHO they are expensive and if you don't make money from photography they're not worth it. You can have great lenses at less price from Tamron or Sigma.

I'd choose a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 over Canon 70-200mm F2.8, Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 over Canon 24-70mm F2.8, etc and save more than 500 euro to buy myself other lenses or whatever.

EDIT: I'd choose those lenses on FF. On APS-C none of them are worth it.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Why are you saying that they are not worth it @Guest 1012 ? As I’m using them on my 7d m2, which is crop camera . Yes agree with you, but don’t forget with new Rf series, the L is a bit cheaper now, or more affordable.

G

Guest 1012

1. You have an awkward focal length on APS-C.
2. They are expensive and you can buy lenses that have the same IQ with less money.

And don't get me started with RF :p. Great IQ, but they are defying the idea of mirrorless and small and they are super-expensive. I mean here in Romania some people buy cars that are cheaper than RF lenses.

• Haha

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
1. You have an awkward focal length on APS-C.
2. They are expensive and you can buy lenses that have the same IQ with less money.

And don't get me started with RF :p. Great IQ, but they are defying the idea of mirrorless and small and they are super-expensive. I mean here in Romania some people buy cars that are cheaper than RF lenses.

I was thinking to buy Canon RP, and sell my 7d m2 and use L lenses on it. I don't know if that's good idea.

By yes RF lenses are next level and even here in UK they are expensive, over £2k

G

Guest 1012

I was thinking to buy Canon RP, and sell my 7d m2 and use L lenses on it. I don't know if that's good idea.

By yes RF lenses are next level and even here in UK they are expensive, over £2k
If you already have L lenses, then switching to FF is no hassle. I would personally go with R or R6 instead of RP if you have the money. I had the same dilemma this summer (R/RP) and went with 90D instead and I don't regret it. If I had more FF lenses, I'd go with a FF too, but since most of my lenses are for APS-C, the logical thing to do was to buy APS-C again.

Also, noise quality in low light was what made me choose the 90D too.
1610623222538.jpg

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I got only 3 L lenses, and 1 EF-S. The big advantage of shooting with L lenses on crop camera is the extra reach, if I'm not wrong you get extra 1.6x.

I need to check that camera. My 7d m2 works OK in low light, and it's still pretty new. In 4 years my shutter count is around 20k.

G

Guest 1012

I got only 3 L lenses, and 1 EF-S. The big advantage of shooting with L lenses on crop camera is the extra reach, if I'm not wrong you get extra 1.6x.

On Canon it's 1.6, on Nikon it's 1.5. and it happens with every lens on a crop sensor.
We can start a separate discussion about crop vs FF if you want.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I think so too that the lenses from Sigma or Tamron provides comparable results for lower costs. Ok... let's say that the L-series might be 10% better but is it worth the money? For me as a hobby photograph for sure not.

Most of us don't earn money with their photography so the L-series is no option for me as long as I'm not a professional who earns a lot of money with his hobby.