Canon Canon stops to support some lenses

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This is a rumor thread about the Canon camera brand. All discussions on this topic is not based on facts or other statements confirmation.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hello. I'm not sure if anyone heard. But canon announced that they stop to support some EF-S lenses and some cameras. I read somewhere that they are focusing now on mirrorless which is a bit bad in my opinion.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I've read this as well... they are focusing on mirrorless and the R-lenses. I agree, that it might be a failure but there's a huge portfolio available where you can decide which lens you want to buy. And as most of us buys used lenses it's not a problem (at least for me). And there are other companies like Sigma or Tamron which still provides lenses for those systems.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I've read this as well... they are focusing on mirrorless and the R-lenses. I agree, that it might be a failure but there's a huge portfolio available where you can decide which lens you want to buy. And as most of us buys used lenses it's not a problem (at least for me). And there are other companies like Sigma or Tamron which still provides lenses for those systems.
I always prefer to buy brand new lenses. But, i checked an other night, the Canon 7d m2 is been taken off from their website, which means is no longer available for sale.

I also noticed that 70-200 f2. 8 L Mark 2 is replaced by Mark 3 and the 70-300mm L will be discontinued as well sadly.

Taiyosan

Apr 29, 2021
Thanks Jack; I have been using the Canon 7D Mk ll since it came out but, these days. only for table top macro work ... its just too heavy to carry around on a daily basis. However, I have found it to be an excellent camera for TT work, etc. Makes sense that Canon has stopped making them and moved onto mirrorless cameras. I now use Sony bodies for all outdoor photography..

Attachments

• Macro set-up.jpg
    Macro set-up.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Wow

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Thanks Jack; I have been using the Canon 7D Mk ll since it came out but, these days. only for table top macro work ... its just too heavy to carry around on a daily basis. However, I have found it to be an excellent camera for TT work, etc. Makes sense that Canon has stopped making them and moved onto mirrorless cameras. I now use Sony bodies for all outdoor photography..
OMG, that's proper equipment. You can share that on Showcase page. How are Sony cameras? Worth switching?

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
I know some people still prefer the optical viewfinder, but mirrorless is the future and it took Canon a looooong time to admit that.
it is sort of a suprise, though, I thought they would dump the EF-M mount first and the EF and EF-S later. the EF-M mirrorless system doesn't make much sense. EF-M and RF mounts are not compatible and with a difference of only 2mm in flange distance, I don't think an adapter can be fit in there.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I know some people still prefer the optical viewfinder, but mirrorless is the future and it took Canon a looooong time to admit that.
it is sort of a suprise, though, I thought they would dump the EF-M mount first and the EF and EF-S later. the EF-M mirrorless system doesn't make much sense. EF-M and RF mounts are not compatible and with a difference of only 2mm in flange distance, I don't think an adapter can be fit in there.
The thing is, the prices for RF lenses are higher up. For those prices you can grab an L version lens and an adapter to use in R series of Cameras. I know they are focusing now on Mirrorless cameras, but I don't think that everyone will afford to switch from DSLR's to mirrorless cameras.

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
I agree, but if someone wants to upgrade their camera, now they have the option to go mirrorless and as you said, they can still use their EF lenses on the new cameras. as with any brand, lenses are expensive, but third party brands are already releasing lenses for the RF mount.

I have to admit that I'm a Sony fanboy, but that rumored Canon R3 makes me drool, even knowing that I will never be able to buy one. a funny thing, Canon users have been asking for a Canon 3D for decades and now, if they want it, they have to go mirrorless.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I'm not really a fan boy of any brand. When i started i didn't knew much about photography, and decided to go with Canon as they been in the market longer than any brands if I'm not wrong. I do have mirrorless camera M50 M1, which is really good camera for the price.

Regarding the Canon R3, i would say, is overpriced, i don't know why they are having that higher prices for RF lenses. You probably could get same quality lens with less money if you'd go with an Ef-L series.

Even for newbies. I don't think any of them will buy $10k worth of the latest camera equipment.