Your opinion? caterpillar of Papilio polytes, the common mormon - Mimicry/Camouflage

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EXIF
f32, 1/320, iso100

Shan

Apr 12, 2020
Did you know?

Bird excreta is both dark and white. The white matter is uric acid and the dark matter is the digested food. (also a reason why birds dont pee).
Now this caterpillar has so adapted itself that in its initial instars (moults) it looks so like bird excreta that predators tend to avoid it. In later stage (I hope to bring them to you shortly), it changes color and begins to camouflage into the leaves and also resemble a small snake!

mormon cat-shan-200614-3665.jpg

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
Did you know?

Bird excreta is both dark and white. The white matter is uric acid and the dark matter is the digested food. (also a reason why birds dont pee).
Now this caterpillar has so adapted itself that in its initial instars (moults) it looks so like bird excreta that predators tend to avoid it. In later stage (I hope to bring them to you shortly), it changes color and begins to camouflage into the leaves and also resemble a small snake!

View attachment 5005

Thanks a lot Shan Shan for some of new , very exciting knowlage about nature! Nature is just so exciting and full of own secrets , we just has been learning about all the time , mother nature is only best teacher, and you know Shan Shan , we as nature photographer , we have a big chance to influence in protect our ecosystems in the world in small part of..,so let's only continue this way! :)
Btw, you can just create book about insects, with your pictures , news and stories, and thems excitings secrets, I would like to the one!!! šŸ˜

Reactions: Shan
Status
Not open for further replies.