Your opinion? Champagne bubbles on glass

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
I've been playing with the bubbles that form on the inside of a glass of Champagne. Getting all of the bubbles in focus is near impossible because of the curvature of the glass and those bubbles are constantly on the move to get to the top. I've picked a wider glass and will try adjusting settings to use a faster shutter speed for the next attempts. Any suggestions to get these more focused would be appreciated!
The background was the result of a gift bag set behind the glass, it wound up in a gradient fashion which I liked. The second photo is one where I just did what I love to do, fussed around with the tools in light room for effects.

Nikon D7100, 105mm nikkor, ISO200, f/5.6, 1/20 sec., tripod, remote shutter.

Champagne bubbles-.jpg Champagne bubbles--2.jpg

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
I've been playing with the bubbles that form on the inside of a glass of Champagne. Getting all of the bubbles in focus is near impossible because of the curvature of the glass and those bubbles are constantly on the move to get to the top. I've picked a wider glass and will try adjusting settings to use a faster shutter speed for the next attempts. Any suggestions to get these more focused would be appreciated!
The background was the result of a gift bag set behind the glass, it wound up in a gradient fashion which I liked. The second photo is one where I just did what I love to do, fussed around with the tools in light room for effects.

Nikon D7100, 105mm nikkor, ISO200, f/5.6, 1/20 sec., tripod, remote shutter.

I like it very much! Especially the second one, very nice !I can imagine how hard is get the right focus of them šŸ˜Š.

Greg Greg Played also a lot with still life macros, you can like him's gallery! Maybe he would have advances also.

Anyway ,it's very nice work šŸ™

Reactions: Tina Boes

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Very nice photos, not easy to get those little bubbles in focus and sharp. What shutterspeed did you use in second photo. I would have gone for 1/1000 or even a bit higher with maybe max of 1/2000. No champagne or any bubbly drinks around so can not give it a try

Chavezshutter

Staff member
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
I like those colours, very nice. Sharpness is pretty good too. I've never tried shooting an air bubble but I play with droplet refraction a lot. My suggestion would be to either narrow down aperture and/or move back away from the subject, this will increase the DOF and allow you capture more in focus but TMG1961 TMG1961 is right about possible movement blur happening if the drops are moving around fast but only you would be able to see that. If you want to remain at the same working distance stacking might also be a solution

• Smiling Face

Gravastar8A0

Sep 22, 2021
I like them a lot! As someone who is often trying to shoot bubbles trapped in ice I've had to come to terms with the fact that my focus will never be as pin sharp as I want as I'll always be shooting through some layer of ice, and maybe a thin layer of liquid, that will distort my target bubble(s). My guess is that you'll run into some issue with this just shooting through the wall of the champagne glass as well.

• Smiling Face

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I can imagine that the AF might cause some trouble if you set the focus on the little bubbles but the result looks really really good! I mean it's really hard to get all in focus because the bubbles are moving or will disappear if you wait too long. So I guess there's no time for focus stacking, but in fact I haven't tried it so far.

• Smiling Face

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
I can imagine that the AF might cause some trouble if you set the focus on the little bubbles but the result looks really really good! I mean it's really hard to get all in focus because the bubbles are moving or will disappear if you wait too long. So I guess there's no time for focus stacking, but in fact I haven't tried it so far.
Thanks Helix! I did try a couple of focus stacking, and it was what I expected. The bubbles are moving constantly, straining to get released. I tried PS as well as Helicon, and the results were the same. Too many ghosting and fuzzy areas to bother with.
I have noticed that if the glass is thoroughly cleaned the bubbles won't adhere to the inside of the glass, they just float straight up. I have to figure that out too. I'm going to head for the youtube magic and see if there are some tips there.