Christmas light practice

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Try to play a bit with the single light bulbs.. some in the foreground and some blurry ones behind them. Would look for sure great!

Reactions: TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Try to play a bit with the single light bulbs.. some in the foreground and some blurry ones behind them. Would look for sure great!
Thanks, will keep that in mind. I am planning to go on an evening walk through the neighbourhood within the next few weeks when it is dry. Too wet here at the moment.

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Nice shot, casual snap but looks good, I have to agree with Helix - bokeh light balls are too hard to pass by whenever I see light bulbs or LED strips, even more so around Christmas as they add a very warm, festive feel to a photo. Get a little closer and see if you can either get a subject in front of those lights with a fairly shallow DOF to get the light out of focus and in bokeh or maybe macro or close up on a light at the front so you get the same bokeh effect on the other lights behind. There is a number of ways to do it, hope to see your results

Reactions: TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Nice shot, casual snap but looks good, I have to agree with Helix - bokeh light balls are too hard to pass by whenever I see light bulbs or LED strips, even more so around Christmas as they add a very warm, festive feel to a photo. Get a little closer and see if you can either get a subject in front of those lights with a fairly shallow DOF to get the light out of focus and in bokeh or maybe macro or close up on a light at the front so you get the same bokeh effect on the other lights behind. There is a number of ways to do it, hope to see your results
Thanks for the tips. I went on a short walk yesterday evening to try out things, but it was a total disaster. None of the photos were any good to be used. I did not matter that they were not in focus, i went out to try out getting a good exposure. But i ended up with very underexposed images to avoid clipping highlights from the led lights that there was so much noise in the photos and that none of them was even close to bad. They looked like i gave the camera to a goldfish and asked him to take the photos.

• Haha
Reactions: Chavezshutter

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
These are 3 photos from last night. I went out to do some exposure testing to see what settings i needed for shooting the christmas lights in the neighbourhood, so do not look at sharpness. These are the unedited raw file exports. I only resized the jpegs to be able to upload them. All images taken with iso400 and f/1.8 or f/2 (last photo) shutterspeed for first 2 photos was 1/6 sec and last one was 1/10 sec. All photos taken with Sony a7rii + samyang 35mm f/1.8 AF lens. You can download the raw files from: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kN3Q0tURjACE2oAiRw-vAc-YcouBHChR?usp=sharing

arw-01246small.jpg

arw-01247small.jpg

arw-01249small.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tina Boes