Colour Color fringing issue.....

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member's photo is not colour balanced and require additional editing or retouching.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
I had a great opportunity here when this happened to land right in front of my camera, and when I used my Nikon 105mm AF lens which I just purchased, I was seriously disappointed with the amount of color fringe in the green and purple. This is just one of many shots this Fly gave me with that spider and all of them have the fringe so bad that I cannot get it corrected in Lightroom. I have tried to add the lens to the LR lens area to auto correct, and that didn't help either. Now I just have ghosting around the critters.....
Am I doing something wrong that is causing this problem, or is it just the lens that I am going to have to deal with?
Nikon D7100, Nikon AF 105mm, ISO400, F5.0, 1/320 sec., no flash
Maybe I need a class in using the color fringe adjuster, that thing just confuses me and I worked with it for over an hour on these with no satisfactory results. The pink in lower area is correct, he had landed on a cloth with pink coloring on it. I'm going to add the original here as well, before any corrective adjustments. This was the first shot taken, I adjusted camera view to get him fully into the frame on subsequent photos.

Fly spider meal fringing issue-.jpg

Fly spider meal fringing issue original-9662.jpg

Photo Permission
  1. Yes, I do give permission
Last edited:
Reactions: Jack and Natalie

Dangerspouse

Aug 27, 2021
Hi Tina -

Could you post a non-macro picture using that lens? Make it a picture with more even and long edges, and has a lot of contrast at the edges. Something like a wall or house against a light blue sky background, for instance. It's a little tough to judge your picture's CA and fringing on my little monitor, because of the multicolored insect, the shallow depth of field, and the numerous fine surface hairs so close together. Fringing will be more apparent, if that is indeed the problem, if you have a long straight-ish line to look along, with a background that is not green or purple.

That's a fine lens you have. If it does turn out that it's flawed, and you can't return or replace it, I would bring it to a camera store and have it calibrated. Don't forget to bring your camera body - lenses are calibrated to specific bodies.

FWIW, I took your pic and just did a quick edit in Lightroom to see for myself. I reduced the purple slider in the HSL section, used the adjustment brush to slightly desaturate the green at the top, and added a touch of texture. I think I see what you mean with some issues in a few spots, but I'd still like to see a picture with more defined edges.

FLY EDIT-1.jpg

Last edited:

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
could this be the problem? scroll down to the section Bokeh Fringing.
kzurro, that explains things perfectly!!!! Thank you so much for that link and I'm adding it to my bookmarks to read in full later about this lens. :)

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
Hi Tina -

Could you post a non-macro picture using that lens? Make it a picture with more even and long edges, and has a lot of contrast at the edges. Something like a wall or house against a light blue sky background, for instance. It's a little tough to judge your picture's CA and fringing on my little monitor, because of the multicolored insect, the shallow depth of field, and the numerous fine surface hairs so close together. Fringing will be more apparent, if that is indeed the problem, if you have a long straight-ish line to look along, with a background that is not green or purple.

That's a fine lens you have. If it does turn out that it's flawed, and you can't return or replace it, I would bring it to a camera store and have it calibrated. Don't forget to bring your camera body - lenses are calibrated to specific bodies.

FWIW, I took your pic and just did a quick edit in Lightroom to see for myself. I reduced the purple slider in the HSL section, used the adjustment brush to slightly desaturate the green at the top, and added a touch of texture. I think I see what you mean with some issues in a few spots, but I'd still like to see a picture with more defined edges.
Hi Dangerspouse, and thank you. I went to a site that has lots of techy specs about this lens, provided by member kzurro, and it explained everything. I'm going to do some testing at different f stops to find the sweet spot for these types of macro shots and try to reduce the fringe "ghosting".
Thanks for the edit of the photo, I love that you got the pink out of the lower part of the image. Pink and this particular subject matter just didn't seem to go well together. LOL
I don't have a camera shop anywhere near me that does this kind of thing anymore, they are mostly into reproducing images and such for people. Service and camera repairs are just not done anymore, and most say they have to be sent to manufacturer.
I'll post here again when I've done my testing, and thanks again!

Reactions: Dangerspouse

Dangerspouse

Aug 27, 2021
Best of luck with it! It would be a shame to give up on a new lens, especially one as nice as that 105. Your picture was excellent already. If you iron out issues with your glass, I can only imagine how spectacular your shots will be!

• Love
Reactions: Tina Boes

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
Hello Tina Boes Tina Boes , I have tried to colour edit the photo. Let me know your thoughts.
Hi Jack, thanks for trying. That one seems to have color halos in different areas. The back of the spider has fairly bright blue halos, the left leg of the Robber fly has a pretty saturated pink surrounding it because of the pink colors in the cloth it landed on, and the antennae of the fly has a blue cast surrounding it. This is what I ran into when I tried to correct it using the fringe correction tool. What I have discovered, with the use of the site explaining the lens and doing macro, is the optimum aperture for this particular lens being between f/8 and f/11. That series of photos was taken at F/5.
I put it to the test yesterday and it holds true. Once I go below F/8 I start to get the color halos and fringing on the close ups, especially in the out of focus areas.
Practice practice practice. :) Thanks again for giving it a go.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hello Tina Boes Tina Boes , I have tried to colour edit the photo. Let me know your thoughts.
Hi Jack, thanks for trying. That one seems to have color halos in different areas. The back of the spider has fairly bright blue halos, the left leg of the Robber fly has a pretty saturated pink surrounding it because of the pink colors in the cloth it landed on, and the antennae of the fly has a blue cast surrounding it. This is what I ran into when I tried to correct it using the fringe correction tool. What I have discovered, with the use of the site explaining the lens and doing macro, is the optimum aperture for this particular lens being between f/8 and f/11. That series of photos was taken at F/5.
I put it to the test yesterday and it holds true. Once I go below F/8 I start to get the color halos and fringing on the close ups, especially in the out of focus areas.
Practice practice practice. :) Thanks again for giving it a go.
When I do shoot jewelleries, I try to set my aperture at f11-15 depending on circumstances. I think there are different rules when shooting outside and insects, as is different environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.