Want critique Cornflower...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
A pretty flower with nice bokeh šŸ¤©. But in my opinion, it would be nicer if you position the flower in the middle for this photo. But of course it depends on personal taste, nothing is absolute when it comes about art. šŸ˜

JMarc

Supporter
Supporter
Mar 9, 2022
A pretty flower with nice bokeh šŸ¤©. But in my opinion, it would be nicer if you position the flower in the middle for this photo. But of course it depends on personal taste, nothing is absolute when it comes about art. šŸ˜
Thanks lovitazoe. I usualy dislike to put my subject right in the center but I"ll try.

• Smiling Face
Reactions: lovitazoe

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hi JMarc JMarc šŸ˜€,

Beautiful colours, a very nice flower, focus looks good, nice bokeh. I used to avoid centered subjects too (still do sometimes) but on single subjects it can work well, I'm 50/50 on it. I don't see a clear advantage either way. As long as it works and looks ok then its fine but maybe test both and see what you prefer in different scenarios.

Simplification is a big theme in alone subjects and a centered subject can enhance that, nothing says "look at this!" more than a simple, centered subject. Off centre also has its own characteristics, its more subtle and organic, it does not highlight a subject in the same ways but it does encourage the viewer to look at surroundings more upon first glace, this is just my opinion and just something to consider.

I actually did a thread regarding this same topic a while back when I was taking a closer look at composition and there is no wrong or right, just personal taste and what works best for each scenario. I personally wouldn't go absolute on one way vs the other and choose according to each scene. If this flower had been more symmetrical i would say centered would be better here but as it is, either is fine. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. Thanks for sharing šŸ‘