Photography cut flower macro

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

Tonyv138

Nov 27, 2021
Looking for some tips to macro a cut flower. I tried it today, and while photographing my attempted stack, the flower drooped and moved. Has anyone tried that and what would be an approach for success. This flower is a part of the cluster along with others, buds, leaves, etc... Thanks!

Last edited:

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Hi Tonyv138, flowers droop for me also but sometimes I find if I hang them upside down and take the shots the drooping is not as noticeable. I usually get everything set up first, using a dummy model to ensure lighting and everything is good then replace the dummy with the flower at the last moment, focus and take my shots as quickly as possible.
But certainly arranging them upside down helps me a lot usually.

Tonyv138

Nov 27, 2021
Hi Tonyv138, flowers droop for me also but sometimes I find if I hang them upside down and take the shots the drooping is not as noticeable. I usually get everything set up first, using a dummy model to ensure lighting and everything is good then replace the dummy with the flower at the last moment, focus and take my shots as quickly as possible.
But certainly arranging them upside down helps me a lot usually.
Hi Andy, I figured it out. I did wrap the cut end in a cotton ball, and then placed all of this into a small plastic baggy - no drooping for hours. Here is the result !1x and 5x

Attachments

• Flower 1X resized.jpg
    Flower 1X resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • Flower 5X reduced.jpg
    Flower 5X reduced.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4