Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
Hi,

Peacock spider season is nearly over, not seeing as many as I have seen a few months ago but I was able to get some courtship behaviour in my last outing, this species is a bat-like peacock jumping spider (Maratus vespertilio) displaying for a female: DSC04808-1.jpg
The female, however, does not appear interested so he saves his dancing and resorts to arm waving (always done with signal arms - the third pair of legs) to see if he can get her full attention again.. DSC04834-1.jpg
Not lucky with love this time but at least he got away uneaten, better luck next time šŸ˜ƒ

Last edited:
EXIF
Sony a7iii, Loawa 100mm x2 macro lens, ISO 125, f/11, 1/200 sec, flash and diffuser, handheld.

lovitazoe

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
A great one-sided-love photo story šŸ˜. He was lucky to be unlucky šŸ˜‚. How long the dance usually lasts? It must be an amazing experience to watch it in person. šŸ˜ƒ

Chavezshutter

Staff member
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
A great one-sided-love photo story šŸ˜. He was lucky to be unlucky šŸ˜‚. How long the dance usually lasts? It must be an amazing experience to watch it in person. šŸ˜ƒ
The actual dancing can last a few minutes depending how well it goes, the arm waving can go for over half an hour or more depending how persistent the male is. The dance is over when the female raises her tail and waves it in the air, this is basically the last warning a female gives before she will most likely attack. Only some species do this warning, some females species are particularly aggressive towards males but the one in the photo tends to warn them first. A pregnant female is interested in food only and if hungry enough would most likely attack a male or female for a meal.

They are very cool to watch, very clever hunters and a lot of character

• Love
Reactions: lovitazoe

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Holy cow! You were really lucky to be able to take pictures of such a mating! Very impressive! Nothing to add but just "WOW"

lovitazoe

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
The actual dancing can last a few minutes depending how well it goes, the arm waving can go for over half an hour or more depending how persistent the male is. The dance is over when the female raises her tail and waves it in the air, this is basically the last warning a female gives before she will most likely attack. Only some species do this warning, some females species are particularly aggressive towards males but the one in the photo tends to warn them first. A pregnant female is interested in food only and if hungry enough would most likely attack a male or female for a meal.

They are very cool to watch, very clever hunters and a lot of character
What an experience! I envy you. šŸ¤©