Want critique Dandelion seed head

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Hi Dangerspouse, for me there doesn't seem to a single point of focus. I find my eyes are looking everywhere but not settling on any single spot. Maybe a wider shot with a dark background might help, as the brown background in just the middle is distracting to me. I am also finding myself trying to see through the foreground to determine what that brown object is behind it. You have a nice set up so experiment with different angles.

Reactions: Dangerspouse

Dangerspouse

Aug 27, 2021
Hi Dangerspouse, for me there doesn't seem to a single point of focus. I find my eyes are looking everywhere but not settling on any single spot. Maybe a wider shot with a dark background might help, as the brown background in just the middle is distracting to me. I am also finding myself trying to see through the foreground to determine what that brown object is behind it. You have a nice set up so experiment with different angles.
Hi Andy, thanks for the comment! I understand what you mean about your eye not settling on a single point. I myself like that effect, but I can understand how some other people might not. One thing: I did not use a brown background. That brown bit in the middle is the center of the plant! If you look carefully at the second picture you can see that the center portion is that color. But you're right - it would have been nice had it been black!

Thank you again for the comment, and for the thoughtful suggestions.

Reactions: Andy Smith

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
I love dandelion. It always photogenic as a photo subject. šŸ˜ƒ
From the photo it might be more interesting to use a small aperture to enjoy the dandelion pattern that fills the entire frame.

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
I love dandelion. It always photogenic as a photo subject. šŸ˜ƒ
From the photo it might be more interesting to use a small aperture to enjoy the dandelion pattern that fills the entire frame.
I am looking forward for your next photo and experiment. šŸ˜ƒ

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
You have a nice idea there for sure. I would agree with focus stacking, and definitely a dark background to make the white pop and give some nice contrast. :) With a subject like that, and trying focus stack, you will need to be sure the air movement in the room is as still as you can get. Turn off air conditioners, fans, close doors to keep drafts out...etc. etc. Those things are so wispy. LOL

Dangerspouse

Aug 27, 2021
You have a nice idea there for sure. I would agree with focus stacking, and definitely a dark background to make the white pop and give some nice contrast. :) With a subject like that, and trying focus stack, you will need to be sure the air movement in the room is as still as you can get. Turn off air conditioners, fans, close doors to keep drafts out...etc. etc. Those things are so wispy. LOL
Whispy indeed! I tried to not even breathe as I was taking the shots, lol. Thanks Tina, your suggestions are well taken!