Lens Difference between RF and L lenses

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member want's to discuss about the lens specified in the topic.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I'm a Canon user. And I own some L series lenses. However, saw the RF lenses an other day, and they look nice, but very expensive. I haven't tried any of them yet, but those who tried them, is big difference between RF lenses and L lenses?

Because L lenses are delivering good image quality plus is built well.

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
RF are the lenses of the new FF mirrorless cameras. they are not compatible with the EF mount or the EF-M mount, though you can use EF lenses on RF cameras with an adapter.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
RF are the lenses of the new FF mirrorless cameras. they are not compatible with the EF mount or the EF-M mount, though you can use EF lenses on RF cameras with an adapter.
But the question is, are they worth the money or worth upgrading?

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
I guess some of those new lenses are.

is it worth upgrading? well, Canon has already announced they won't be releasing any new EF lenses or cameras. are you sure you want to invest more money in a system that is already dead?

what you should really ask yourself is: will they stick to the EF-M system or will they sooner or later forget it and just release RF cameras with crop sensors.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
That's really good questions. Because I'm planning to buy 24-70mm f2. 8 III L lens, but not sure whenever it's good choice or not.

stubanham

Jul 8, 2021
As kzurro says, RF is the new EF - lenses for Mirrorless bodies and they do regular and L series too.

Quality of RF is better - as there's no mirror in the way the rear element sits much closer to the sensor, shortening the light path and can be placed exactly where the best image quality is achieved for that particular lens design, 2mm or 2 inches from the sensor.
Rear element is also larger so less edge distortion and what distortion there is (the 24-105 STM is pretty bad) is more easily corrected with the in-body processing. I think Lightroom has a profile for that lens too and they'll catch up for others that need it soon for those who only shoot RAW

The 100MacroL gives 1.4x mag and has a 'Bokeh control' ring to adjust the out of focus 'feel' and AF on Mirrorless is faster and more accurate, the focusing is done on the image sensor rather than separate AF sensors so no 'front or back' focus issues or need to micro-adjust / calibrate.

That said it'll be a while before DSLR is dead, there's no crop body (probably be the R7 when it eventually arrives) and there's no cheap camera for the masses or kit lens - if you're happy with the camera you've got and want a 24-70 then just get it and enjoy it, and you'll get a good trade in price for it a few years from now when you go mirrorless

Reactions: Jack and kzurro

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
As kzurro says, RF is the new EF - lenses for Mirrorless bodies and they do regular and L series too.

Quality of RF is better - as there's no mirror in the way the rear element sits much closer to the sensor, shortening the light path and can be placed exactly where the best image quality is achieved for that particular lens design, 2mm or 2 inches from the sensor.
Rear element is also larger so less edge distortion and what distortion there is (the 24-105 STM is pretty bad) is more easily corrected with the in-body processing. I think Lightroom has a profile for that lens too and they'll catch up for others that need it soon for those who only shoot RAW

The 100MacroL gives 1.4x mag and has a 'Bokeh control' ring to adjust the out of focus 'feel' and AF on Mirrorless is faster and more accurate, the focusing is done on the image sensor rather than separate AF sensors so no 'front or back' focus issues or need to micro-adjust / calibrate.

That said it'll be a while before DSLR is dead, there's no crop body (probably be the R7 when it eventually arrives) and there's no cheap camera for the masses or kit lens - if you're happy with the camera you've got and want a 24-70 then just get it and enjoy it, and you'll get a good trade in price for it a few years from now when you go mirrorless
Thanks for the answer. So is worth saving more and getting into RF lenses and cameras? It buying L lenses is still good idea? I have an 7d m2 and m50 both great cameras. But I assume that soon Canon won't support these cameras which make me to worry about it.

stubanham

Jul 8, 2021

L series are always a good idea :)
For macro, the move to mirrorless is probably less of an improvement than in other areas like wildlife and sports. Things like eye-tracking AF is amazing when tracking a bird in flight, the R3 does 30fps RAW so you're guaranteed the shot as a gymnast nails the landing or the F1 car crashes into another.
If you're stacking images using manual focus, it makes no difference
Image quality improvement for the new lens on something like an R5 (full frame 45MP) over the current L series macro and your crop body will be noticeable, but is it worth the £5k investment?

Canon will eventually stop support for old kit, but I've got a 1Dx which is almost 10 year old tech, still takes amazing shots and is still serviceable and repairable by Canon-approved independents

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

so you are saying is still worth investing in L series lenses? I'm not making any profit out of it, so buying or having the latest lenses or camera from Canon is out of option for me. I still love my 7d m2, is 4 years old I think, but didn't had chance to go over 50k shutter count yet.

stubanham

Jul 8, 2021

L series are the best Canon do so always worth investing in, if they do a focal length you want/need
They make L series EF lenses that'll fit your 7D and they do RF versions for the new Mirrorless models
Even if you move to Mirrorless, all your current L series lenses will fit with the adapter so you're not wasting any money and you'll still get stunning results

I've got some great lenses, all Canon L series...
16-35 f/2.8L,
24 f/1.4L,
24-105 f/4L
70-200 f/2.8L
100 Macro L
300 f/2.8L

They've cost me a lot and give great results, much better than non-L series - you get better build, weather-resistant, better glass and coatings, better optical design, generally faster max aperture, faster focus motors, better IS systems
If I move to mirrorless when my 1Dx dies I'll just keep using them with the adapter (which is like an extension tube to site the rear element in the right place, no glass and no loss of quality), then slowly move to RF versions

As I said before, if you want the 24-70 f/2.8 then go for it!