Want critique #Dragon Fly

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.
EXIF
Canon 20D, EF 100mm, f/4.5, 1/90s, ISO 100, Hand held

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Really good focus but I'm wondering about the noise @ ISO100. Looks like ISO400 or higher. I would try to use a flash and a higher aperture to get more DOF. It's a bit too narrow.

Reactions: CA Madhu Ramaswamy

CA Madhu Ramaswamy

Feb 3, 2021
Really good focus but I'm wondering about the noise * ISO100. Looks like ISO400 or higher. I would try to use a flash and a higher aperture to get more DOF. It's a bit too narrow.
Dear Helix, agree with your DoF. Just that the fear of losing the subject just gets your mind out of place. Surely aperture settings would have helped get that DoF. Noise May be cause of the sharpness editing. I usually adjust the images for brightness, contrast and sharpness.

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Good sharpness but as mentioned by Helix_2648 Helix_2648 DOF is a maybe a bit narrow and noise looks high, though it shouldn't be at ISO 100. I dont know what editing software you are using but in some like Lightroom and others allow you to limit your sharpening to only certain areas. The ability to add a certain effect (ie, sharpness in this case) to only a certain place in a photo (locally) v doing the same to the entire photo (globally) is a natural progression of your editing skills just as DOF is. I look forward to seeing more. I also wanted to say that the critique prefix is an active call to find something wrong with a photo, I personally dont mind the narrow DOF too much but in a critique members are more critical for the purposes of improving and growing within photography, keep at it :)

Reactions: CA Madhu Ramaswamy

CA Madhu Ramaswamy

Feb 3, 2021
Good sharpness but as mentioned by Helix_2648 Helix_2648 DOF is a maybe a bit narrow and noise looks high, though it shouldn't be at ISO 100. I dont know what editing software you are using but in some like Lightroom and others allow you to limit your sharpening to only certain areas. The ability to add a certain effect (ie, sharpness in this case) to only a certain place in a photo (locally) v doing the same to the entire photo (globally) is a natural progression of your editing skills just as DOF is. I look forward to seeing more. I also wanted to say that the critique prefix is an active call to find something wrong with a photo, I personally dont mind the narrow DOF too much but in a critique members are more critical for the purposes of improving and growing within photography, keep at it :)
Thanks Chavezshutter Chavezshutter, agree with the DoF. I use Picasa for these minor adjustments. Haven't had my hands on Lightroom yet.

Reactions: Chavezshutter

MinitecaPhotographie

Legend TEAM
3 3 1
May 9, 2020
The key in macrophotography same as in conventionnal photography is the light. As you're like me most of the time hand held you need to get a speed about 1/200s or more to avoid shaking movement. With such a speed the light should be very high and you should close a bit more (about F/8 or F/11) to get a better DOF. That's why I use all the time a flash. It allows me to use same parameters everytime and to focus all my attention on the subject and the composition. When using a flash you need to use a good diffuser to get a smooth light.

CA Madhu Ramaswamy

Feb 3, 2021
The key in macrophotography same as in conventionnal photography is the light. As you're like me most of the time hand held you need to get a speed about 1/200s or more to avoid shaking movement. With such a speed the light should be very high and you should close a bit more (about F/8 or F/11) to get a better DOF. That's why I use all the time a flash. It allows me to use same parameters everytime and to focus all my attention on the subject and the composition. When using a flash you need to use a good diffuser to get a smooth light.
Totally agree, however I never have the practice of using flash for subjects which are on outdoor lights. Try to take the most of the natural light. I have tried using flash for indoor macro shots like water drops but haven't been an expert in using the high speed flash as I am not very sure of the settings and how it needs to sync with your camera specs. I will surely take your advice and try using flash on closeup/macro shots even outdoors to get that DoF and other specs as well. Thanks.

rjalil

1 1
Apr 9, 2022
I read all discussed above. It was a good education for me as well. I do not intend to comment on the picture after comments by expers. However, I liked the photo.