Early Christmas gift

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Charge as many as you need but use them once charged, its not a huge deal if now and then you leave one charged but do not rely on the auto discharge function too much. The smarts and circuits we talked about are not fool proof and if they fail for whatever reason (a good one is that the circuits are on a flying machine and these can take some hard knocks) then it wont cause a fire but it will shorten the battery life, a common failure of a battery is a single cell in a battery dies and from there the battery is finished. Think of these batteries as a rubber band which is fully stretched at max capacity, it should not stay in that state for too long. At the same time they also should never be fully flat, 3.8 volts per cell is what we call storeage capacity, max volt per cell is 4.2 volts, if you keep draining the cell to below 3.2 volts per cell or so and it wont last long. You dont need to worry too much about these numbers as long as your batteries work right but its good info to know.

Thanks Chavezshutter Chavezshutter , that's really good information to know, I didn't knew about that. So example I can safely charge them before leaving them to idle for a couple of weeks, and when I decide again to use them, I need to fully charge them again?

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Yes thats right, charge and use them. If they are near storage voltage after flying they are good to store away but do check on them now and then (at least once a month) to see if they are at that voltage, keep them in that storage voltage to get the most life out them. If they are a little below storage volt, then bring them up to storage volt and store away. If, however they are far below storage voltage and below 3.2 volts or flat, you need to bring them to storage voltage ASAP and you are overflying your batteries, shortening their lifespan. They are not cheap batteries and you cant buy DJI third party batteries, they must be DJI.

Always use a fully charged pack to fly, it might be tempting to use a half charged pack but its not a good idea, some packs discharge faster specially below max charge levels and on top of that its easy to fly downwind to video an area and then find you need way more power to get the drone back to you flying upwind.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
They are not cheap batteries and you cant buy DJI third party batteries, they must be DJI
Definitely not cheap, I checked and they are about £90 brand new.

Always use a fully charged pack to fly, it might be tempting to use a half charged pack but its not a good idea, some packs discharge faster specially below max charge levels and on top of that its easy to fly downwind to video an area and then find you need way more power to get the drone back to you flying upwind
I'll need to find a bit of time to fly next week. I did it on Thursday but on normal mode, want to do on Cine mode. The camera is alright. But battery life, it's not as expected, drains very quickly. Having 3 of them make sense.

Do you know when these batteries must be changed? I mean the life cycle.

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Definitely not cheap, I checked and they are about £90 brand new.

I'll need to find a bit of time to fly next week. I did it on Thursday but on normal mode, want to do on Cine mode. The camera is alright. But battery life, it's not as expected, drains very quickly. Having 3 of them make sense.

Do you know when these batteries must be changed? I mean the life cycle.
Anywhere between 300-500 charge/discharge cycles or flights.. I found this article which has a lot of details... Also before you fly anymore you might want to look at the "Cycle the LiPo batteries for first use" section, don't be too worried if you didn't do it (some pilots think its not even necessary) but once again good to know:

DJI battery health

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Anywhere between 300-500 charge/discharge cycles or flights.. I found this article which has a lot of details... Also before you fly anymore you might want to look at the "Cycle the LiPo batteries for first use" section, don't be too worried if you didn't do it (some pilots think its not even necessary) but once again good to know:

DJI battery health

Thanks for the link. I will have to read it.

300-500 it's not a lot at all.

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
Oh great! I would like to try drone photography but good equipments are so expensive 🤷🏻‍♀️. Jack Jack share your drone shoots with us, would be exciting to see! 😊

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
I will definitely share some. When I have time to fly and I still need to learn. Its fun, and yes, the drone is really expensive.

Surely there's a lot of learning 😁, luckily there's a lot of good advices and courses in internet..
Can't wait to see your drone pictures Jack Jack 😊👌

• Grinning Face