Begginer Editing video

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member opened a beginner discussion, do give the best advice and tips regarding the topic subject.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Does anyone here had experience with editing video? I'm still new to this and trying to learn, example how to edit 5k and 4k video footage from the drone.

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
I have a bit , check out my video post...UV video

I use Premiere Pro and was playing with speed ramps, playback speeds, zooming, panning and some other stuff in the video.

Reactions: Jack

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
I use DaVinci Resolve Jack, its an extremely capable software, its also free (an incredibly powerful software for free) and there are plenty of tutorials. I found it quite easy to navigate and get the results I was looking for fairly quickly. Highly recommend having a look at it.
It has quick export options also for export to You Tube or a variety of different formats.
Try it out, the learning curve may take a few hours but well worth it.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I have a bit , check out my video post...UV video

I use Premiere Pro and was playing with speed ramps, playback speeds, zooming, panning and some other stuff in the video.
I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro as well. I already did couple of videos. But I still need to learn more about the resolutionsvabd how to achieve best quality videos.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I use DaVinci Resolve Jack, its an extremely capable software, its also free (an incredibly powerful software for free) and there are plenty of tutorials. I found it quite easy to navigate and get the results I was looking for fairly quickly. Highly recommend having a look at it.
It has quick export options also for export to You Tube or a variety of different formats.
Try it out, the learning curve may take a few hours but well worth it.
Can I edit 4k and 5k drone footage?

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Can I edit 4k and 5k drone footage?
Hi Jack, yes I believe you can. The software is extensive and a very professional tool.
Quote from motionarray.com
"the free version of DaVinci Resolve 17 can import footage with a resolution higher than 4K but can only export up to 4K UHD at 60 frames per second.
Some aspects of DaVinci Resolve’s free version that may fall short include its inability to work with 10-bit footage. This could pose a problem for certain cameras, such as the Panasonic GH5. You are also limited to a 4K UHD (3840×2160) output that could be a dealbreaker for those filmmakers shooting in DCI 4K (4096 x2160) for cinema."

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hi Jack, yes I believe you can. The software is extensive and a very professional tool.
Quote from motionarray.com
"the free version of DaVinci Resolve 17 can import footage with a resolution higher than 4K but can only export up to 4K UHD at 60 frames per second.
Some aspects of DaVinci Resolve’s free version that may fall short include its inability to work with 10-bit footage. This could pose a problem for certain cameras, such as the Panasonic GH5. You are also limited to a 4K UHD (3840×2160) output that could be a dealbreaker for those filmmakers shooting in DCI 4K (4096 x2160) for cinema."

Alright. It means I can't export 5k 3fps videos. I try to record only 5k video as the quality is higher.

II'll have to double check.

Reactions: Andy Smith

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
In Premier Pro you don't need to worry too much about resolution as the sequence which is made when you first load the video clip into the timeline will either match the right resolution or warn you and ask you to change the sequence setting to match the video clip. Where you need to be aware of resolution and other settings is in the exporting of media. You will need H264 if you want to upload the video to sites like youtube,vimeo,etc. You can also use the "Match Bitrate" button to make sure the export's resolution matches the original clip's resolution. There are presets already in the software for say Youtube4k or YoutubeHD but I made my own presets using this video. Lots of good information, hope it helps

Reactions: Jack and Andy Smith

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
In Premier Pro you don't need to worry too much about resolution as the sequence which is made when you first load the video clip into the timeline will either match the right resolution or warn you and ask you to change the sequence setting to match the video clip. Where you need to be aware of resolution and other settings is in the exporting of media. You will need H264 if you want to upload the video to sites like youtube,vimeo,etc. You can also use the "Match Bitrate" button to make sure the export's resolution matches the original clip's resolution. There are presets already in the software for say Youtube4k or YoutubeHD but I made my own presets using this video. Lots of good information, hope it helps
I'll need to learn more about sequences. I've already made one custom preset for 5k footage, but want to adjust the ratio. For 4k videos, I haven't made any presets, as the last one which I've edited, the quality is not as expected ( probably because of low light).

I haven't seen that button where it can Match the Bitrate 🤔

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
I'll need to learn more about sequences. I've already made one custom preset for 5k footage, but want to adjust the ratio. For 4k videos, I haven't made any presets, as the last one which I've edited, the quality is not as expected ( probably because of low light).

I haven't seen that button where it can Match the Bitrate 🤔
My bad, it was "Match Source" at 3.01 of the vid. Take a look at what you can do with the video image later with things like LUTs and effects, with these you can alter a video in similar ways we can edit a photo in LR ( adjust exposure,white balance,contrast,etc) You can also remove noise, crop, pan, colour match and do a lot of other things to give your video a boost. There are actually a surprising number of ways and tools to edit video, takes a while getting used to them all.