Extension tube?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizardinvestor

Feb 7, 2021
What is the idea of these? Could any help me and explain how to use these and why use them?

I have a big gap in my civilization o_O

Reactions: Jack
Solution
Extension tubes are just hollow tubes (with or without electrical contacts for the aperture or auto focus) which increases the magnification of your lens depending on the length of the extension tubes in relation to your lens.

Here's a short summary from dummies.com:

• Unlike filters and tele-converters, extension tubes don’t contain any glass optics and therefore they don’t affect the quality of your lens. Extension tubes are simply hollow tubes that create distance. The light that is refracted through your lens passes through the tube unaffected on its path to the digital sensor.
  • The auto-focus feature on some lenses doesn’t work with an extension tube. This is not the end of the world; because your subjects show up huge...

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
That's good question, unfortunately I never practiced that or had that.

I can only point to Helix_2648 Helix_2648 or our @Mentor, I belive they have bigger knowledge in this field.

Personally I own 100mm L Canon, but yes I heard that using extension tube, you could turn any lens into macro one (I'm not sure about bigger telephoto lenses)

Rui_Santos

Feb 6, 2021
I recommend it, I have the Meyke brand, they are good, I never had any problems with fitting and with the lens functions, the result obtained through everything is excellent.

Reactions: Jack

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Extension tubes are just hollow tubes (with or without electrical contacts for the aperture or auto focus) which increases the magnification of your lens depending on the length of the extension tubes in relation to your lens.

• Unlike filters and tele-converters, extension tubes don’t contain any glass optics and therefore they don’t affect the quality of your lens. Extension tubes are simply hollow tubes that create distance. The light that is refracted through your lens passes through the tube unaffected on its path to the digital sensor.
  • The auto-focus feature on some lenses doesn’t work with an extension tube. This is not the end of the world; because your subjects show up huge in your viewfinder when you shoot macro or close-up, you can easily adjust focus manually. However, if you prefer to rely on auto-focus, be sure to research which lenses are compatible with which extension tubes before making a purchase.
  • You may lose the ability to select the aperture value of the lens from the camera settings when using an extension tube. Older lenses enable you to select the aperture value manually on the lens itself, but newer equipment is designed to be controlled from the camera alone. Try to find an extension tube that is electronically compatible with your lens before making a purchase.
    View attachment 15448
  • Ordinary lenses can normally focus to infinity, but when you pair a lens and an extension tube, the maximum focusing distance becomes limited. The extension tube enables you to get in closer to a subject but also limits how far a subject can be from the lens.
  • Extension tubes place the lens farther from the camera body and add additional weight to it. This extra weight can cause problems when you need to keep the camera still at slower shutter speeds. Use a tripod to avoid motion blur.
  • Because the lens is farther from the digital sensor when you use an extension tube, some light is lost during the exposure to the area just outside your camera’s sensor. After taking an image, review it on the LCD screen and check the image histogram (the graph that shows the tonal distribution in an image based on your exposure) to see whether you need to adjust your exposure settings.
This explains the ad- and disadvantages very well.

Have fun!

Attachments

• 287166.image0.jpg
    287166.image0.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 0
Solution

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

• The auto-focus feature on some lenses doesn’t work with an extension tube. This is not the end of the world; because your subjects show up huge in your viewfinder when you shoot macro or close-up, you can easily adjust focus manually. However, if you prefer to rely on auto-focus, be sure to research which lenses are compatible with which extension tubes before making a purchase.
  • You may lose the ability to select the aperture value of the lens from the camera settings when using an extension tube. Older lenses enable you to select the aperture value manually on the lens itself, but newer equipment is designed to be controlled from the camera alone. Try to find an extension tube that is electronically compatible with your lens before making a purchase.
    View attachment 15448
  • Ordinary lenses can normally focus to infinity, but when you pair a lens and an extension tube, the maximum focusing distance becomes limited. The extension tube enables you to get in closer to a subject but also limits how far a subject can be from the lens.
  • Extension tubes place the lens farther from the camera body and add additional weight to it. This extra weight can cause problems when you need to keep the camera still at slower shutter speeds. Use a tripod to avoid motion blur.
  • Because the lens is farther from the digital sensor when you use an extension tube, some light is lost during the exposure to the area just outside your camera’s sensor. After taking an image, review it on the LCD screen and check the image histogram (the graph that shows the tonal distribution in an image based on your exposure) to see whether you need to adjust your exposure settings.

Have fun!
That's well said and explained. Thanks Helix_2648 Helix_2648

Wizardinvestor

Feb 7, 2021

View attachment 15448

Have fun!
Hey! Thank u very much for this explanation!! Youre pro man! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.