Want critique First time glowing mushroom

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.
EXIF
f/2.8 - iso 200 - 1/640 sec -35mm

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
That's just fantastic for your first try! Do you edit your photo with Photoshop? If so I might give you some tips if you want! But again! That's really fantastic!

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
If you do have Photoshop, try editing out the tree in the background that is at an angle. I think it's a tree, or branch coming out of the ground?, it should be easy to blend out. ;-)

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Thanks all, i do edit my photos, but i am not real good at it. It is just the usual brighter/darker, more/less contrast a bit of sharpening and sometimes noise removal. Most of it i do in lightroom and 99% of the time it is the auto function which i then sometimes make light adjustments. But as i said i am absolutely not good at editing photos.

Reactions: Tina Boes

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
Thanks all, i do edit my photos, but i am not real good at it. It is just the usual brighter/darker, more/less contrast a bit of sharpening and sometimes noise removal. Most of it i do in lightroom and 99% of the time it is the auto function which i then sometimes make light adjustments. But as i said i am absolutely not good at editing photos.
I learned by pulling up youtube videos for basics. There are so many freebies for learning out there, if you have a little time each night, choose a photo and decide what you want to edit and then find a video on that. Soon you will have the basic skills and can go for the more involved stuff later. I downloaded your photo (hope you don't mind, I'm practicing today) and took only a couple minutes in Photoshop to do a basic edit out of the tree or branch that was distracting in the center of the mushroom. taking a bit more time, the blending could be done in a more detailed manner. What do you think?

TMG mushroom edit.jpg

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I learned by pulling up youtube videos for basics. There are so many freebies for learning out there, if you have a little time each night, choose a photo and decide what you want to edit and then find a video on that. Soon you will have the basic skills and can go for the more involved stuff later. I downloaded your photo (hope you don't mind, I'm practicing today) and took only a couple minutes in Photoshop to do a basic edit out of the tree or branch that was distracting in the center of the mushroom. taking a bit more time, the blending could be done in a more detailed manner. What do you think?

View attachment 19794

I don't mind at all. Looks great. I do need to start learning more about editing photos. Up till now it was ok with what i can do, but i want to get more serious with my photos and think decent editing skills is going to help with that.

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
I don't mind at all. Looks great. I do need to start learning more about editing photos. Up till now it was ok with what i can do, but i want to get more serious with my photos and think decent editing skills is going to help with that.
Great! You are going to have fun with it.
In order to reduce our editing time, first off, we need to look at our composition and other things in the shot, like clutter or distracting elements. Take a photo after you've set up, and then use your review button to check it out. See what you don't like in it, and rearrange things or remove things as needed. Check the two most important things (to me), lighting and focus too. Once you've done all of that, take the final photo. Pretty soon you will know just by looking at your scene, or using the viewfinder/lcd screen to see what's in the shot.

Reactions: TMG1961

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
Oh, BTW...if you are struggling with anything in particular you can always post a question in the forum here for retouching help:

Reactions: TMG1961