Flash in what direction?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
When you use flash for outdoor macro photos in what direction do you point the flash? Is it pointing in the same direction as the lens and if so in what angle? Or do you turn it away from the subject?

Reactions: Jack
Solution
When you use flash for outdoor macro photos in what direction do you point the flash? Is it pointing in the same direction as the lens and if so in what angle? Or do you turn it away from the subject?
The Flash should be pointed directly to the subject, as you want the subject to be in focus and enough light. you also might consider having a diffuser as well.

I believe MinitecaPhotographie MinitecaPhotographie or Yohanna_D Yohanna_D can give some advise as well.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
The Flash should be pointed directly to the subject, as you want the subject to be in focus and enough light. you also might consider having a diffuser as well.

I believe MinitecaPhotographie MinitecaPhotographie or Yohanna_D Yohanna_D can give some advise as well.

Reactions: TMG1961
Solution

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021

Thank you. Still trying to get used to using a flash. Sometimes even with it at 1/128 the photos are completely overexposed at f/8 or f/11 with 1/160 sec and ISO 100. And when i then turn the flash down for next photo it is under exposed. Same light, same camera settings. I don't have a clue why. Felt like ripping the flash of camera and throw it in the bin or smashing it with a hammer this afternoon.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Thank you. Still trying to get used to using a flash. Sometimes even with it at 1/128 the photos are completely overexposed at f/8 or f/11 with 1/160 sec and ISO 100. And when i then turn the flash down for next photo it is under exposed. Same light, same camera settings. I don't have a clue why. Felt like ripping the flash of camera and throw it in the bin or smashing it with a hammer this afternoon.

Alright, you need to make changes on your flash, having it set on auto mode it doesn’t always work. You should set the brightness yourself. I had same issue before.

So go into flash setting and play with brightness, if the photo is under exposed, you should bring the brightness up .

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Alright, you need to make changes on your flash, having it set on auto mode it doesn’t always work. You should set the brightness yourself. I had same issue before.

So go into flash setting and play with brightness, if the photo is under exposed, you should bring the brightness up .
I have the flash in manual mode. Problem is that if i have over a exposed photo and i turn power of flash down 1 setting it is under exposed. I tried using the EV compensation settings but that didn't work either. That is why i thought i might be aiming the flash wrong and asked the question.

Last edited:

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I have the flash in manual mode. Problem is that if i have over exposed photo and i turn power of flash doen 1 setting it is under exposed. I tried using the EV compensation settings but that didn't work either. That is why i thought i might be aiming the flash wrong and asked the question.

Have you tried to have your flash on auto mode, adjusting the brightness and set your camera to manual mode as well ?

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Have you tried to have your flash on auto mode, adjusting the brightness and set your camera to manual mode as well ?
I can not use the flash in auto mode, the lens is a manual lens (laowa 100mm macro), the flash stays at f/3.5 no matter what aperture i set on the lens.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I can not use the flash in auto mode, the lens is a manual lens (laowa 100mm macro), the flash stays at f/3.5 no matter what aperture i set on the lens.

Alright, that makes sense. Then you should set your flash on manual mode as well. And make some shits until you find the right flash settings. Have you checked brightness settings?

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Alright, that makes sense. Then you should set your flash on manual mode as well. And make some shits until you find the right flash settings. Have you checked brightness settings?
What brightness settings are you referring to? I can set the flash from 1/1 to 1/128 in 6 steps and each setting i can make EV comp of +3/+7 or -3/-7.

Status
Not open for further replies.