Flash preference

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

mdubois

Feb 8, 2022
I have Nikon Z7ii and 105 2.8 setup. Brand new at macro and want to purchase the correct flash for me . Photographing objects around the house , flowers , insects etc. want lightweight but not willing to give up any image quality at all .. opinions please

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hello M mdubois , first of all welcome on our forum.

So just to reply to your question. As you need to macro photography, I wouldn't recommend to get the most expensive flash. A TTL flash should do the job.

I would also recommend to build your own small studio which will help you to get good quality when taking pictures of small objects.

Also can point to lovitazoe lovitazoe Chavezshutter Chavezshutter MinitecaPhotographie MinitecaPhotographie Yohanna_D Yohanna_D. As. They are our forum staff and can give you a better advice than mine.

Reactions: Chavezshutter

MinitecaPhotographie

Legend TEAM
3 3 1
May 9, 2020
I have Nikon Z7ii and 105 2.8 setup. Brand new at macro and want to purchase the correct flash for me . Photographing objects around the house , flowers , insects etc. want lightweight but not willing to give up any image quality at all .. opinions please
Personally I use a Godox V350o which is compact, lightweight and enough powerful.

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
I use Godox as well, good quality gear at very affordable prices. I use the Godox TT 685s and it performs well and its reliable. I also found out when my brother had a accident with his flash that Godox sells just the connector part which goes into the hotshoe, which is a great option for customers. Godox has a good range for both budget gear and professional lighting. I prefer single flash myself but godox does also have twin head flashes which some people prefer for macro. The other thing you will need for any flash regardless of which type you get is good diffusion, you can go the DIY path or buy one ready to install. (don't be fooled into thinking DIY is in anyway not as good as ready to use, best diffuser results I see are usually DIY diffusers but obviously they take more time and effort to make at much lower costs than ready made diffusers). Good luck with it and if you have anymore questions ask away šŸ˜€

Reactions: Jack

mdubois

Feb 8, 2022
I have ordered the Godox V350N 2.4 wireless with some great advice from Cygnustech I am going to get a flash diffuser from he. Also thankful for the help from Tibor Molnar and Lian Shields. I am certain that I will have setting questions etc .

Reactions: Chavezshutter

mdubois

Feb 8, 2022
I have ordered the Godox V350N 2.4 wireless with some great advice from Cygnustech I am going to get a flash diffuser from he. Also thankful for the help from Tibor Molnar and Lian Shields. I am certain that I will have setting questions etc .
Hello M mdubois , first of all welcome on our forum.

So just to reply to your question. As you need to macro photography, I wouldn't recommend to get the most expensive flash. A TTL flash should do the job.

I would also recommend to build your own small studio which will help you to get good quality when taking pictures of small objects.

Also can point to lovitazoe lovitazoe Chavezshutter Chavezshutter MinitecaPhotographie MinitecaPhotographie Yohanna_D Yohanna_D. As. They are our forum staff and can give you a better advice than mine.
Thank you