Your opinion? Fly on lemon flower

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
1/250, f/11, ISO 2500

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hi Architect79 Architect79 šŸ˜,

I like this one šŸ˜€. Clean composition, good colours and I see you have made your shutter faster here to freeze the insect. The light in this photo looks good, there is some grain from the high ISO but its pretty well contained. Subject is sharp and there is nice soft bokeh.

Very nice work šŸ‘. I have 2 questions, Are you handholding for your photos or do you use a tripod? and a more general opinon matter - I wanted to ask your opinion of flash in macro.

Architect79

Jul 19, 2021
Especially when capturing moving insects, I prefer handhold shots not to miss them. Usually I am a little lazy to carry a tripod for outdoor use. Recently I bought one monopod but I have not had any experience with it yet. It is lighter and easy to carry.
As for using a flash, usually I do not prefer it as it creates and artificial lighting and I prefer the natural light. In macro photography, except for capturing insects, flash light may harm them, good lighting is of course very important due to the very shallow DOF. When I afford, I wish to buy a ring flash.

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Architect79

Jul 19, 2021
Hi Architect79 Architect79 šŸ˜,

I like this one šŸ˜€. Clean composition, good colours and I see you have made your shutter faster here to freeze the insect. The light in this photo looks good, there is some grain from the high ISO but its pretty well contained. Subject is sharp and there is nice soft bokeh.

Very nice work šŸ‘. I have 2 questions, Are you handholding for your photos or do you use a tripod? and a more general opinon matter - I wanted to ask your opinion of flash in macro.
When I use a tripod for macro photos, I also use a shutter release. Cable or wireless.

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Especially when capturing moving insects, I prefer handhold shots not to miss them. Usually I am a little lazy to carry a tripod for outdoor use. Recently I bought one monopod but I have not had any experience with it yet. It is lighter and easy to carry.
As for using a flash, usually I do not prefer it as it creates and artificial lighting and I prefer the natural light. In macro photography, except for capturing insects, flash light may harm them, good lighting is of course very important due to the very shallow DOF. When I afford, I wish to buy a ring flash.
I prefer handheld for live subjects too, its more mobile.

We have different views on flash and thats ok. I would say flash is not easy to learn and needs diffusion but I understand not everyone likes them. One thing I can say for certain is flash does not harm insects, their duration is too short, an insect being harmed by a flash at around 1millisecond would not survive sunlight for 8 hours. At worst its may cause them distress but nothing I have observed or noted by other macrophotographers that I am aware of.

A ring flash has limited uses in my opinion. Some external light is better than none but ring flash causes a few undersireable effects like ring shaped specular highlights in insects' eyes and water drops, ring flash also has no freezing power and will often need white balance adjustments in post to compensate for the blue hue that LEDs lights often have. If I was not to use flash I would recommend an RGB light, like this, you can then set the light color temperature from 2500K(warm) to 9000K(cold). Something to consider anyways šŸ˜Š

Architect79

Jul 19, 2021
I prefer handheld for live subjects too, its more mobile.

We have different views on flash and thats ok. I would say flash is not easy to learn and needs diffusion but I understand not everyone likes them. One thing I can say for certain is flash does not harm insects, their duration is too short, an insect being harmed by a flash at around 1millisecond would not survive sunlight for 8 hours. At worst its may cause them distress but nothing I have observed or noted by other macrophotographers that I am aware of.

A ring flash has limited uses in my opinion. Some external light is better than none but ring flash causes a few undersireable effects like ring shaped specular highlights in insects' eyes and water drops, ring flash also has no freezing power and will often need white balance adjustments in post to compensate for the blue hue that LEDs lights often have. If I was not to use flash I would recommend an RGB light, like this, you can then set the light color temperature from 2500K(warm) to 9000K(cold). Something to consider anyways šŸ˜Š
Thanks for your opinions. I think I will consider buying RGB light. But in any case I prefer natural light and using reflector for dark areas.

Architect79

Jul 19, 2021
I am planning to buy this one

its color temperature range is wider. And surprisingly, it is cheaper than Ulanzi VL49 in Turkey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
I have not seen that light, looks good to me. Dimmable and adjustable colour temp. And cheaper for you, good pick šŸ‘