Fungal growing in lenses?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I found somewhere that there is a chance that in the lenses can grow some kind of fungal, which i think I've seen such of discussion here on forum.

I would like to ask how this can happen and how can i prevent this?

Thanks

Solution
So what is this all about? Its just dust inside or what? Because I'm still confused a bit, also concerned about my lenses too.
I think it's a combination of dust and moisture which stick on the lens/camera body, never cleaned, and rarely being used. Dust and water will become food and drink for fungus to thrive and will eventually damage our cameras and lenses.

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
Happened to me before! I think mine was because the lens exposed with a little bit of raindrops and dust. The worst thing was I tried to clean it with a cotton bud and baby oil šŸ˜‚. I brought it to service center before it was getting worse.

• Wow
Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Happened to me before! I think mine was because the lens exposed with a little bit of raindrops and dust. The worst thing was I tried to clean it with a cotton bud and baby oil šŸ˜‚. I brought it to service center before it was getting worse.
So what is this all about? Its just dust inside or what? Because I'm still confused a bit, also concerned about my lenses too.

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
I think it's a combination of dust and moisture which stick on the lens/camera body, never cleaned, and rarely being used. Dust and water will become food and drink for fungus to thrive and will eventually damage our cameras and lenses.

Solution

Sergey Prokofiev

1 1
Feb 22, 2021
We are surrounded by billions of spores of fungi and mold and they, like dust, get inside the lens. And if a favorable environment for growth is created, then they germinate. If moisture gets inside such as condensation when you bring the camera to a warm place from the cold.

P.S. Sorry for my English...)

Reactions: Jack and lovitazoe

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
In old ones, more debris accumulates during use, so this happens more often with old ones.
I was starting to worry about my new lenses. Which aren't very old, maybe couple of years, but all dust and water sealed. Can they be affected too?

Sergey Prokofiev

1 1
Feb 22, 2021
I was starting to worry about my new lenses. Which aren't very old, maybe couple of years, but all dust and water sealed. Can they be affected too?
I read about this in one of the articles on the Internet, I did not come across it myself. You have a very humid climate, which is favorable for the growth of fungi and mold. But in fact, this is a great rarity.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I read about this in one of the articles on the Internet, I did not come across it myself. You have a very humid climate, which is favorable for the growth of fungi and mold. But in fact, this is a great rarity.
In UK the humidity is very high. I still keep my lenses in their manufacture bags. Idk, is that having some silica can prevent or minimise the risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.