Fungal growing in lenses?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I found somewhere that there is a chance that in the lenses can grow some kind of fungal, which i think I've seen such of discussion here on forum.

I would like to ask how this can happen and how can i prevent this?

Thanks

Solution
So what is this all about? Its just dust inside or what? Because I'm still confused a bit, also concerned about my lenses too.
I think it's a combination of dust and moisture which stick on the lens/camera body, never cleaned, and rarely being used. Dust and water will become food and drink for fungus to thrive and will eventually damage our cameras and lenses.

Whatever123

Feb 19, 2021
My binoculars got full of fungus and i had to throw them away, but none of my lenses so far. However they are all quite new.
I store them in a sealed box with silica in it.

Reactions: Jack

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
Thanks for your reply Sergey Prokofiev Sergey Prokofiev , lovitazoe lovitazoe . So is there any way to prevent that happen to lenses? Does this affect all lenses or just old once ?
I put 2 bags silica gel inside my camera bag. My camera and lenses are water and dust sealed but still can't avoid this problem. Usually if we don't use our camera for too long and just leave it inside the bag or an ordinary storage, the fungal will appear.

From what I know, an airtight storage/dry box, silica gel, and UV light will help the camera safe from fungal, Jack. And of course clean the camera after we use and before we store it back. 😁

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I put 2 bags silica gel inside my camera bag. My camera and lenses are water and dust sealed but still can't avoid this problem. Usually if we don't use our camera for too long and just leave it inside the bag or an ordinary storage, the fungal will appear.

From what I know, an airtight storage/dry box, silica gel, and UV light will help the camera safe from fungal, Jack. And of course clean the camera after we use and before we store it back. 😁
To much maintenance. I heard about UV light. But that's to much in my opinion. I will have to order some silica then. What kind of storage are you recommending ?

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
To much maintenance. I heard about UV light. But that's to much in my opinion. I will have to order some silica then. What kind of storage are you recommending ?
If I'm not mistaken, electric silica gel product for camera is available now, Jack. It's rechargeable. Maybe more environment friendly than the silica bag one (you need to toss it when it is finishes).
For the the storage, I know some brands like Digicabi, Samurai, forspark. But I never use any of them, so I can't recommend anything😬. I just put my camera and lenses in my bag. So, if you interested to buy, you can it check online.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
If I'm not mistaken, electric silica gel product for camera is available now, Jack. It's rechargeable. Maybe more environment friendly than the silica bag one (you need to toss it when it is finishes).
For the the storage, I know some brands like Digicabi, Samurai, forspark. But I never use any of them, so I can't recommend anything😬. I just put my camera and lenses in my bag. So, if you interested to buy, you can it check online.
Is electric silica gel product expensive? Actually, need to check this.

Status
Not open for further replies.