Fungal growing in lenses?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I found somewhere that there is a chance that in the lenses can grow some kind of fungal, which i think I've seen such of discussion here on forum.

I would like to ask how this can happen and how can i prevent this?

Thanks

Solution
So what is this all about? Its just dust inside or what? Because I'm still confused a bit, also concerned about my lenses too.
I think it's a combination of dust and moisture which stick on the lens/camera body, never cleaned, and rarely being used. Dust and water will become food and drink for fungus to thrive and will eventually damage our cameras and lenses.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Yes. When I brought it to service center last time, I had to spend $100+ to clean my camera & lenses. And it was 3 years ago.

Prevention is better than cure. 😊

Agree, so you saying that having that uv lighting kit in-house is worth it?

lovitazoe

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
Agree, so you saying that having that uv lighting kit in-house is worth it?
Yes, if your camera rarely exposed with sunlight and you don't want to deal with fungus. But have to be careful to use the uv light. It can really damage the eyes.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Yes, if your camera rarely exposed with sunlight and you don't want to deal with fungus. But have to be careful to use the uv light. It can really damage the eyes.

I'll have to check, maybe comes with glasses too. Thanks for advice.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
As mentioned before... it's new to me but explainable. We've fungi spores everywhere around us and those spores just need the right conditions to grow. So if you don't handle your lenses with care and it becomes wet and dirty (and maybe the rubber gaskets becomes a little bit brittle) the fungi spores can start to grow inside your lens. In this case you can for sure only contact a professional cleaning service for your lens.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
As mentioned before... it's new to me but explainable. We've fungi spores everywhere around us and those spores just need the right conditions to grow. So if you don't handle your lenses with care and it becomes wet and dirty (and maybe the rubber gaskets becomes a little bit brittle) the fungi spores can start to grow inside your lens. In this case you can for sure only contact a professional cleaning service for your lens.
The question is, how wet the area must be in order to fungi start growing? At the moment i keep all my equipment in their manufacture bags.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
The question is, how wet the area must be in order to fungi start growing? At the moment i keep all my equipment in their manufacture bags.
That's fine and you won't get any problems with fungi or dust inside your lens if you keep it there. But sometimes it's raining or your lens drops down and becomes dirty. As most Canon lenses are sealed against dust and humidity you don't have to be unsettled, but other lenses from cheaper brands are not as good sealed as Canon or Nikon lenses and might be more effected by those fungi spores.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
That's fine and you won't get any problems with fungi or dust inside your lens if you keep it there. But sometimes it's raining or your lens drops down and becomes dirty. As most Canon lenses are sealed against dust and humidity you don't have to be unsettled, but other lenses from cheaper brands are not as good sealed as Canon or Nikon lenses and might be more effected by those fungi spores.

Thanks Helix_2648 Helix_2648 , I already started to worry about my lenses. I bought all my lenses brand new, and I really trying to take care of them. I also try to not buy other brands of lenses .

Status
Not open for further replies.