Want critique Fuzzy Portraits..

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.

Hurricane Holmes

Oct 30, 2020
Great shot with lots of detail. How did you get so close? I also use the laowa 100mm 2x macro lens but with a sony a7rii
Thanks. I just waited until the bee buried their head in the dandelion, then moved in for the shot. I find it's not too hard to get in range with the Dreamer because it has a nice working distance of about 3 inches or so. I also cropped in from the original photo..

Reactions: TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Thanks. I just waited until the bee buried their head in the dandelion, then moved in for the shot. I find it's not too hard to get in range with the Dreamer because it has a nice working distance of about 3 inches or so. I also cropped in from the original photo..

I do love the lens, but i still struggle to get real sharp and correct focus photos. I think 95% of my photos can go straight into the bin. Biggest problem is not the lens or me but the wind. I also don't use a flash when i go out for macro shots and shoot only handheld. Usually i go for f/8 or f/11. I also use it sometimes on my sony a6000, works fine on that one too even without image stabilisation.

Hurricane Holmes

Oct 30, 2020
I do love the lens, but i still struggle to get real sharp and correct focus photos. I think 95% of my photos can go straight into the bin. Biggest problem is not the lens or me but the wind. I also don't use a flash when i go out for macro shots and shoot only handheld. Usually i go for f/8 or f/11. I also use it sometimes on my sony a6000, works fine on that one too even without image stabilisation.
Yes, same for me, it is hard to nail the focus most of the time. The wind, along with the movement of the insects makes things very frustrating at times. I just don't shoot if there's more than a light breeze, unless I can find a calm spot or strong stems that don't move much. Dandelions are good for that situation.

I use a flash because the lighting is more consistent and predictable. I find that natural light changes too often and is sometimes too harsh and uncontrollable. I only shoot handheld as well.

F/8 is usually my home, but I do use f/2.8 to f/11 depending on my tolerance for missed shots on any given day, lol. I find that if I want extremely sharp detail I have to go somewhere between f/2.8 and f/8. Anything above f/8 starts to soften, but I can get more of the subject into focus and miss less shots..

Reactions: TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Almost all my macro shots are at f/8 or f/11, i find any number lower then f/8 gives me not enough depth of field, even with f/8 or f/11 it is very small. I am trying out shooting from a bit further away and then crop. My a7rii has a 42mb sensor and i shoot all in uncompressed raw, cropping without loosing image quality if not a problem with that sensor. If can also use the Sony a6000 and then it is the equivalent of a 150mm full frame lens

Reactions: Hurricane Holmes