National Park Gariwerd (Grampians National Park)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
EXIF
Sony a7iii, Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 superwide for most shots, some from an old canon 28-200 zoom, some from the Sony stock FE 28-70mm and the moth was done with Sony 90mm FE macro lens, all the fstops, all the shutterspeeds and ISO's

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
DSC04507.jpg
Old Lady Moth (Dasypodia selenophora)

Gariwerd is the native and original name for this beautiful and unique park located 260 km west of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. The site is a special place for Aboriginals, where the largest number of ancient rock paintings can be found in south eastern Australia.

DSC03978.jpg
Welcome sign - Budja Budja (Halls gap) Botanical Gardens

It has some of the most diverse eco habitat areas in Victoria ranging from highlands, fern forests, eucalyptus forests, waterfalls, mountain peaks, wetlands and open plains. This heritage listed park is 1672 km² and was listed in 1984. It has many unique flora and fauna. In my five day stay in the park I saw kangaroos, wallabies, echidnas, mountain goats, frogs, cockatoos, lorekeets, rosellas, kookaburras, owls, superb fairywrens, gallahs, emus, crows, magpies, and insect life too numerous to mention. I will post photos with some of this wildlife separately.

C0015T01.jpg
Fyans Creek, Central Grampians

DSC04319.jpg
Mackenzie Falls, Grampians

Situated in Victoria's highland north west region makes this park unique as most of Victoria and indeed much of Australia is relatively flat (the other place with some terrain elevation is Victoria's alpine region, northwest of Melbourne). Gariwerd sits between five sandstone mountain ranges that run north to south, and it is between these ridges that the park sprawls. The park is divided into three sections, northern Grampians, central Grampians and southern Grampians. The majority of the park is dominated by eucalytpus forests as expected for any wildlife setting in most of Australia, another common sight is wild orchids and other plants, some which are unique to the park and they are in full bloom during spring. The park has many trails some which can take weeks to complete, many of these trails were made by the local community and students in a special project that took 10 years to complete. The sandstone in this park was used in such historic buildings as the Parliament house and the State Library.

DSC04939.jpg
Sandstone rock formations near Lakeview lookout summit, hanging precariously as the weather erodes the sand

C0008T01.jpg
Sandstone highland ridges in Grampians central region

DSC04122.jpg
Venus Baths, central Grampians

In the center of the park lies a small friendly town called Budja Budja (Halls Gap) nestled between the Wonderland and Mount William (the highest point in the park)Ranges, to its south lies the man-made Lake Bellfiled, part of the Wimmera and Mallee water pipeline, created in the 60's by farmers and local towns. This lake provides water for the whole of Victoria's north western region.

DSC05291.jpg
Sunrise from Boroka lookout facing west, Budja Budja (Halls Gap) on the right with Lake Bellfield behind and Lake Fyans mid left.

DSC04834.jpg
Budja Budja (Halls Gap) from Boroka lookout

DSC04993-Pano-5.jpg
Lake Bellfield at night, taken from the northern shore of the lake facing south east - 6 shot panorama

DSC05156.jpg
Sunset over central Grampians from Reed lookout facing southwest

During my stay at Halls Gap, I was lucky enough to visit during cicada season, a song I had not heard in too many years, I was kept busy during the day looking for subjects and vistas and at night with nightshoots were ever so busy with all kinds of insect life such as redback spiders, all varieties of orb weavers, moths, larger spiders such as wolf spiders and huntsman, a larger variety of beetles and much more. I have many shots to edit and post as well as video. Most of my exploration was around Halls Gap, except for the last day where I headed to northern Grampians region. I hope to return soon for more adventures.

DSC03944.jpg
The town of Budja Budja (Halls Gap)

DSC04500.jpg
Grampians National Park & aboriginal culture centre in Budja Budja (Halls Gap)

DSC05828.jpg
Olive plantation in Northern Grampians, Mount Staplyton and Mount Zero in the background

Last edited:

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
Beautiful pictures and very enjoyable article,I can learn lot with 🤩. Dream to be there one day 🤩🙏💚. Australia has so unique ecosystems and nature, it's like travelling to another planet 💚😃.
Thank you a lot for sharing this all with us dear Chavezshutter Chavezshutter 💚🙏🤩

• Love
Reactions: Chavezshutter

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Lovely article Chavezshutter Chavezshutter . But I bit jealous, the pictures are stunning, especially these during the night. I’m sure it’s unbelievable during the night there. How long was your trip ? Regarding the town, there must live few people, not really populated.

• Love

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Thanks! Glad you all like the article :)

Jack Jack I was there for five days, not long enough, plan on visiting it again next spring. Halls Gap has less than 500 population, the majority of the town is mostly accomodation, caravan parks, a small supermarket, some restaurants, pubs and cafes.

Reactions: Jack

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
A beautiful location to be sure. I would love to go for a hike there. Austria is up on the list of countries I would like to visit someday anyway.

• Love

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Thanks! Glad you all like the article :)

Jack Jack I was there for five days, not long enough, plan on visiting it again next spring. Halls Gap has less than 500 population, the majority of the town is mostly accomodation, caravan parks, a small supermarket, some restaurants, pubs and cafes.

500 , That’s not a lot at all, small village where everyone knows each other I guess. I guess the location is beautiful because of its nature .

• Love

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Wow! I miss the words to describe such a beauty! You've shown us such wonderful places and I'm really thankful for this. I really would have wished to be there with you Chavezshutter Chavezshutter. Thank you so much again for shring and your effort to describe it in all details!

• Love