Your opinion? Glowshroom

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
DMC-G81
ISO200, f/13, 1/4
Olympus 60mm

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
As they say: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Today I got inspired by Helix_2648 Helix_2648's amazing glowing mushrooms to try one myself:

P1120082_1_merge.jpg

This is my first attempt at stacking multiple exposures and painting out the parts I need. It's a combination of 3 images, all shot at the same apperture and exposure. One is an underexposed base layer which I additionally darkened in post production. In the second one I lit the mushroom head and in the last one I lit the mushroom from above to get the moss nicely lit. The images are merged via masks, partially handpainted, partially gradients. In addition I used gradient masks in postprocessing to play with the darkness surrounding the mushroom.

Reactions: Bihari

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Hey Baenki Baenki!!! I'm sooo proud and fascinated by such a result based a bit on my experiences! It's an awesome result and I'm really happy that you've tried and like it! Hopefully you'll some some more opportunities to show us more glowing mushrooms! Thanks so much for sharing this!

Reactions: Baenki

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
Helix_2648 Helix_2648 thank you. The inspiration to try it came yesterday when I was testing a vintage lens (which I'll also present on here as soon as I have some nice macro shots of it). I found a nice little mushroom but didn't have my tripod, so a single photo had to do it.

P1120008.jpg

Reactions: Yohanna_D

panos_adgr

1 2
Apr 23, 2020
And you did an excellent job Baenki Baenki !
I like both of them a lot and the second one wins me a bit more from the first one. It's a matter of personal preference (subjective) but as I said both are excellent!
Thanks for sharing your workflow which was quite helpful!

Reactions: Baenki

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Small mushrooms are hard to handle if you want to achive a glowing effect. Especially because of the light cone from the flash light which is much to big for this.