Your opinion? Grey House Spider (Badumna longinqua) - Diffuser testing

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
Sony a7iii, Loawa 100mm macro lens, ISO 100, f/11, 1/250 sec, flash and diffuser, handheld

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
cute little spiders. I often have a problem when I shoot a subject with white background. Yours are very good. 😁

• Smiling Face
Reactions: Chavezshutter

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
cute little spiders. I often have a problem when I shoot a subject with white background. Yours are very good. 😁
Without seeing the issue I cant say for sure but most likely you are underexposing the photo because the camera's exposure metering is saying the scene is too bright, cameras are not smart enough to work out that a scene is meant to be white, it simply "sees" too much white and automatically determines the scene is too bright. A camera's metering looks at an image and based on percentages it works out how much whites (highlights), blacks (shadows), and mid tones (everything else in between) there are and this is how it calculates if a scene is under or over exposed. Most of the time this metering is correct but when we shoot scenes with a lot of white or black the metering is actually incorrect and you have to compensate for it. Photographers that shoot in snow are well used to dealing with this issue . nataliaflejszar&Photo nataliaflejszar&Photo, do you have to deal with wrong exposure metering much ?.

Anyways I hope this helps your issue, otherwise I'd like to see what results you are getting and maybe give you a hand fixing it. 😊

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
Without seeing the issue I cant say for sure but most likely you are underexposing the photo because the camera's exposure metering is saying the scene is too bright, cameras are not smart enough to work out that a scene is meant to be white, it simply "sees" too much white and automatically determines the scene is too bright. A camera's metering looks at an image and based on percentages it works out how much whites (highlights), blacks (shadows), and mid tones (everything else in between) there are and this is how it calculates if a scene is under or over exposed. Most of the time this metering is correct but when we shoot scenes with a lot of white or black the metering is actually incorrect and you have to compensate for it. Photographers that shoot in snow are well used to dealing with this issue . nataliaflejszar&Photo nataliaflejszar&Photo, do you have to deal with wrong exposure metering much ?.

Anyways I hope this helps your issue, otherwise I'd like to see what results you are getting and maybe give you a hand fixing it. 😊
Thank you for your explanation. 😃
I will post it one day in photo clinic.

James

Jan 16, 2022

Yup, this is almost definitely it. I have the same issue with snowy scenes and birds with sky in the background. Adjusting exposure compensation by a stop or two usually does the trick, but sometimes even that isn't enough.

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
Hi,

Haven't shot much macro while I play with my new lens, but I did have the chance to shoot some macro a couple of weeks ago to test a diffuser which I made recently. Here is a spider I shot at a botanical park on day of shooting at Daylesford, Victoria. Hope you like it.

View attachment 20936
So great ! It's very beautiful composition! I love to watching macro photos like this 🤩

• Smiling Face

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020

In Lightroom and Photoshop we can correct any wrong issues if it's worth 🤣🤣🤣 . New day I'm lazy with editing pictures so if in the picture something don't work well in my eyes I just put the magic Delete and that's it 😄. Everything depends also how important is the moment I took the pictures and when I I want to use ... but bad picture is always bad Haha 🤣

• Haha