Hard Case

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Hi all, I am thinking of getting myself a hard case for my camera gear and was looking at the Pelican 1535 Air Case as it is readily available here in Thailand, and I wondered if any of you already use anything similar or have any thoughts, recommendations etc?
My idea is that if I go on road trips around Thailand this would be better than just the rucksack which I have now and will enable me to keep my gear secure if I go off road.
Any thoughts or ideas please let me know before I spend any cash.. :) Thanks

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Hi Andy Smith Andy Smith, do you really want to carry such a hard case with you all the time? I've a Lowe backpack and quite happy with it. It's stable enough and has also a very flexible inlay to handle all my equipment. And even if I would throw or kick my backpack the camera would be still safe as it's really good protected.

Would be something if I would be a professional photograph who flies a lot. For this I would agree that it makes sense to buy such a hard case.

Reactions: Andy Smith

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Hi Andy Smith Andy Smith, do you really want to carry such a hard case with you all the time? I've a Lowe backpack and quite happy with it. It's stable enough and has also a very flexible inlay to handle all my equipment. And even if I would throw or kick my backpack the camera would be still safe as it's really good protected.

Would be something if I would be a professional photograph who flies a lot. For this I would agree that it makes sense to buy such a hard case.
I understand what you say Helix, I have a couple of nice back packs myself but I feel a general hard case may also be used for general storage at home, dust proof, waterproof, humidity proof etc so it may be useful as well as for just keeping my gear safe when I am traveling in the car around the country. I am not yet decided to be honest as am weighing up the pros & cons. Thanks for the comment it is always helpful to hear other thoughts.

Reactions: Helix_2648

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
I used to own a Pelican camera gear case. It was a lifesaver for flying. If you've seen how they throw bags and belongings on that conveyor belt to the storage area, you will know why. I watched mine get thrown and fall off the conveyor, from the window of the plane.
However, it was pretty heavy and cumbersome which made transporting a task. I don't fly much anymore, so I sold it. My Lowepro pack is perfect for me now. I actually have it strapped to a small suitcase dolly so I can roll it with me when I do my nature photo walks, and hold things like throw down rugs etc. for setting up shots.
I do like the idea of storage for it at home, especially for the humidity aspect.
They are so expensive!

Reactions: Andy Smith

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
I used to own a Pelican camera gear case. It was a lifesaver for flying. If you've seen how they throw bags and belongings on that conveyor belt to the storage area, you will know why. I watched mine get thrown and fall off the conveyor, from the window of the plane.
However, it was pretty heavy and cumbersome which made transporting a task. I don't fly much anymore, so I sold it. My Lowepro pack is perfect for me now. I actually have it strapped to a small suitcase dolly so I can roll it with me when I do my nature photo walks, and hold things like throw down rugs etc. for setting up shots.
I do like the idea of storage for it at home, especially for the humidity aspect.
They are so expensive!
Thanks Tina, they are not cheap for sure, but then again neither is the equipment I will use it for. There are similar Thailand made cases for sale here, which are half the price and honestly look just as rugged. I will have to do more research I think.

Reactions: Tina Boes