Photography Heading out for a day of macro shooting- equipment suggestions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
Hi everyone,
I hope I won't be the only one enjoying time with the camera this weekend.
I'm packing up and heading out to a field and some woods on my property tomorrow, concentrating on Macro shots.
Besides the obvious things, like cameras, lenses, flash, tripods....what would be your normal carry bag contents for a macro shoot in the wild outdoors?
I take some regular things like a face net if needed, large towel or light blanket to place on the ground if I need to lie down for a low shot, bug spray (mosquitos are terrible here right now even in shady daylight)
I'm sure there are things you all use that would benefit the rest of us.
Thanks!

Reactions: Jack and Natalie

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I carry a small manual macro rail, an extension plate (to turn the camera if I use my tripod column upside down), a clamp, my extension tubes, my Raynox DCR-250 & MSN-505, my flashlight and my ambient light with me.

And both tripods of course.

I'm still need to build or buy a good diffuser for my flash so I haven't mentioned that.

Reactions: Tina Boes

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
I carry a small manual macro rail, an extension plate (to turn the camera if I use my tripod column upside down), a clamp, my extension tubes, my Raynox DCR-250 & MSN-505, my flashlight and my ambient light with me.

I'm still need to build or buy a good diffuser for my flash so I haven't mentioned that.
I have read tidbits about macro rails. I'm not having any luck finding what I believe you are talking about on Amazon. Can you give me a brand name, and exactly what it is called, to assist me in searching for one? I really have trouble with aligning that camera over an over again when the bugs move slightly. The tripod is a bit problematic on that.
Thank you. :)

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

I have read tidbits about macro rails. I'm not having any luck finding what I believe you are talking about on Amazon. Can you give me a brand name, and exactly what it is called, to assist me in searching for one? I really have trouble with aligning that camera over an over again when the bugs move slightly. The tripod is a bit problematic on that.
Thank you. :)
A bit of late reply. Are you looking for a macro rail to take images of insects?

• Smiling Face

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
A bit of late reply. Are you looking for a macro rail to take images of insects?
A little of insects and some of my water drop photography, Jack. I have actually purchased one and it's working out quite well. :)

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
A little of insects and some of my water drop photography, Jack. I have actually purchased one and it's working out quite well. :)
I have one as well, honestly I been using it only when shooting jewelleries, is that hard to use it when doing insects?

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
I have one as well, honestly I been using it only when shooting jewelleries, is that hard to use it when doing insects?
I only use it with insects that are in their set areas. Dragonflies have a favorite perch, and if you wait a minute or two after they've flown off, they will come back. They get used to you and will sit pretty still for a while. Spiders in their webs are usually pretty still unless a prey drops in. Other things like assassin bugs, shield bugs, and others will have a spot that they will wait at. You just need to give a few minutes for them to adjust to you being there. Insects are quite incredible creatures really. I'm still practicing with this, but my camera is down. The shutter curtains went bad. I have it torn down waiting for a new shutter assembly, and I have another camera body coming in to avoid any downtime in the future. Hopefully Monday. I feel like I'm going through withdrawal! LOL

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I only use it with insects that are in their set areas. Dragonflies have a favorite perch, and if you wait a minute or two after they've flown off, they will come back. They get used to you and will sit pretty still for a while. Spiders in their webs are usually pretty still unless a prey drops in. Other things like assassin bugs, shield bugs, and others will have a spot that they will wait at. You just need to give a few minutes for them to adjust to you being there. Insects are quite incredible creatures really. I'm still practicing with this, but my camera is down. The shutter curtains went bad. I have it torn down waiting for a new shutter assembly, and I have another camera body coming in to avoid any downtime in the future. Hopefully Monday. I feel like I'm going through withdrawal! LOL
So you are awaiting for new camera body ? i like to take images of static subjects, like jewelleries .

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
So you are awaiting for new camera body ? i like to take images of static subjects, like jewelleries .
I was. I actually have two now, and the broken one is still waiting on the shutter assembly. Very happy with the purchases, these are in like Mint condition and so far work perfectly. Same models, I really like the one I'm used to. Now I can set up for macro and have one for action shots when the wildlife comes in, and set the third one up for water splash photography. This is providing I can put the broken one back together the way I took it apart. LOL I purchased a used Nikon 105mm AF lens as well. Took it for a test drive this morning, and this is going to be sweet!
I've viewed your jewelry shots here, very nice!

Reactions: Natalie and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I was. I actually have two now, and the broken one is still waiting on the shutter assembly. Very happy with the purchases, these are in like Mint condition and so far work perfectly. Same models, I really like the one I'm used to. Now I can set up for macro and have one for action shots when the wildlife comes in, and set the third one up for water splash photography. This is providing I can put the broken one back together the way I took it apart. LOL I purchased a used Nikon 105mm AF lens as well. Took it for a test drive this morning, and this is going to be sweet!
I've viewed your jewelry shots here, very nice!
Thanks . Then looking forward to seeing your images with new camera. You also can share your equipment to our Showcase page If you’d like.