Your opinion? High Key Macro and LAB channel inversion - Lily

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
Sony A7iii, Laowa 100mm f 2.8 x2 macro lens, ISO 100, f/16, 1/125 sec, x2 off camera flashes

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hello,

I've been trying my hand on some high key macro, a technique I have wanted to try for a while. It involves using a white semi- transparent background (I used perspex) and then using a flash from behind the perspex to overexpose the background in the photo, in front of the perspex sheet I place my flower and then using a second flash (constant light will work here as well) hitting the flower from the front. The idea behind this style is to take out almost all shadows from the flower leaving only the highlights and natural colours of the subject. With certain flower petals you can almost achieve translucency.

DSC03958.jpg
I have editing plans for this flower in the future but while searching for information about UV photography I found a photoshop trick which works quite nicely with high key macro, it is called LAB channel inversion and I have to thank Helix_2648 Helix_2648 for putting me unto the LAB colourspace from his LAB sharpening guide. There are many colour variations I could show but here are 2 I like, hope you like them as well

DSC03958.jpg

DSC03958-a.jpg

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Let's say that I'm a bit proud that I was the inspiration for your new technique! Thanks for your kind word! I never have heard about this technique but it looks really unique and provides a lot of opportunities. I'm excited to see the results from you in the near future (apart from the one which I've seen today).

• Love
Reactions: Chavezshutter