Details highlight problem

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member wants the photo details to be corrected, adjusted or fixed due to blur present on the image.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Yes thats correct, protect or expose for the highlight and bring back dark areas in post. Of course clipping can also happen in shadows so be careful not to get too dark of an image or youre back to square one but I think you will find that these cameras record a lot of information in the shadows which can be easily bought back in post. No data which is what happens when a photo is clipped in either the shadows or highlights is very hard if not impossible to recover but you can always get something back as long as its not clipped.
Thanks for the info. Does it matter if you shoot compressed or uncompressed raw? I shoot uncompressed, that is why the files are 82Mb in size, compressed raw files are about 42Mb in size.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chavezshutter

Chavezshutter

Staff member
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Thanks for the info. Does it matter if you shoot compressed or uncompressed raw? I shoot uncompressed, that is why the files are 82Mb in size, compressed raw files are about 42Mb in size.
Most people wont be able to tell the difference between a compressed or uncompressed shot as long as the exposures on both hasnt been increased or decreased too much, I'm talking slider all the way left or right, under that condition you can get some weird circular purplish banding with compressed as well as more noise. Uncompressed gives the most chance of recovering under/over exposed shots, apart from that compressed is smaller, it let's you do longer burst in high burst shooting and image quality is very much the same as uncompressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMG1961

Chavezshutter

Staff member
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Couldn't resist trying to see what I could do to that last photo in Photoshop, might be a little better, what do you think?

DSC00527-PS.jpg

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Most people wont be able to tell the difference between a compressed or uncompressed shot as long as the exposures on both hasnt been increased or decreased too much, I'm talking slider all the way left or right, under that condition you can get some weird circular purplish banding with compressed as well as more noise. Uncompressed gives the most chance of recovering under/over exposed shots, apart from that compressed is smaller, it let's you do longer burst in high burst shooting and image quality is very much the same as uncompressed.
At the moment i am not doing high burst shooting. Only time i use it is when shooting birds and at the moment i do not have a good lens for that. Still looking into buying a affordable zoom lens for the a7rii. The file size is not a problem, got more then enough storage space, and even with a 32GB card in the camera i get more then enough shots.

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Chavezshutter

Staff member
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
At the moment i am not doing high burst shooting. Only time i use it is when shooting birds and at the moment i do not have a good lens for that. Still looking into buying a affordable zoom lens for the a7rii. The file size is not a problem, got more then enough storage space, and even with a 32GB card in the camera i get more then enough shots.
Ideally you would be compressed for most normal shots and uncompressed for when you have issues like these highlights (neither would have stopped clipping but every bit helps) but since that's not an automatic thing you might want to stay uncompressed until you get more experience handling said issues and then when you get more experience dealing with them you wont need uncompressed anymore. I still mess up a shot here and there, i call it warming up cough 😁, so i still use uncompressed just in case and if you have the space why not?

Last edited:

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I will try to test it today! I'm always excited to edit photos from other members! Will keep you up to date!

Craigo79

Jan 17, 2022
I really wanted to play but the file is no longer available. In the Image/Adjustments menu in Photoshop check out Shadows/Highlights. Its a hidden away feature that is really powerful.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I really wanted to play but the file is no longer available. In the Image/Adjustments menu in Photoshop check out Shadows/Highlights. Its a hidden away feature that is really powerful.
I deleted the photo somewhere in December. I looked if i still had the raw files but i deleted them :(

Status
Not open for further replies.