Your opinion? Hover Fly on Butterbur

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Really beautiful B Bob Noble , do you have any technique that you are using to get close to subject and to get so sharp pictures :D (y) ?

Bob Noble

May 7, 2020
Really beautiful B Bob Noble , do you have any technique that you are using to get close to subject and to get so sharp pictures :D (y) ?
The sharpness comes from using a flash (the flash duration is very short - 1/4000 to 1/8000th and this becomes the effective shutter speed. I also use fairly small apertures (f/22 to f/32) to get a larger depth of field. I only shoot hand-held so I really have to be sneaky to get close to the insect. This one probably had the end of the lens about 15 cm from the subject. It helps if the subject is eating too - they are more distracted.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
The sharpness comes from using a flash (the flash duration is very short - 1/4000 to 1/8000th and this becomes the effective shutter speed. I also use fairly small apertures (f/22 to f/32) to get a larger depth of field. I only shoot hand-held so I really have to be sneaky to get close to the insect. This one probably had the end of the lens about 15 cm from the subject. It helps if the subject is eating too - they are more distracted.

Yeah, because I know it’s hard to get closer to insects , especially if they are flying, if you are to close there is a risk that they will fly and no pictures will be taken. I tried with telephoto lens, but that’s not a macro and won’t get as close as I want to them, I mean there won’t be 1:1.

Bob Noble

May 7, 2020
it is frustrating when you get just about close enough and they fly away. I do find that I have to take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves - try not to miss the first shot - and to know when they might not take off.

• Haha
Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
it is frustrating when you get just about close enough and they fly away. I do find that I have to take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves - try not to miss the first shot - and to know when they might not take off.

I tried couple of times, and get mad because I couldn't take the pictures I want 😂

Shan

Apr 12, 2020
beautiful photograph, with a well composed bg. do you think adding a little bit of negative space on the right would make it a better composition? just wondering, no critic! :D

Reactions: Jack and Bob Noble

Bob Noble

May 7, 2020
beautiful photograph, with a well composed bg. do you think adding a little bit of negative space on the right would make it a better composition? just wondering, no critic! :D
I would have liked to get more isolation for the fly but it pretty well filled the frame with the only thing to the right being some flower petals. I think that I was too close!

Reactions: Shan and Jack