Want critique Hoverfly

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.
EXIF
Focus Bracketing 200 photos, E-M1 Mark II, Olympus 60 mm f / 2.8 macro, Caruba extension rings 10 and 16, 1/6, f / 2.8, iso100.

Ron Westbroek

1 2
Apr 21, 2020
Sometimes I try to take an extreme macro photo of an Insect.
I always say, there is always room for improvement.
And a picture of how this picture was made.
Normally I use a tripod from Sirui N-3203X with a Sirui K-20X headset, but this time just the table as a tripod.
Wireless remote control from Hahnel Capture.
On the left you see extra light from Nanguang Luxpad 23 Bi-Color-LED
The Hoverfly was dead. Zweefvlieg-16-4-2020in-.jpg
20200601_143759.jpg

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
That’s amazing how close you can get to such of small subject and how sharp an detailed you can get the subject in the picture. Great shot Ron Westbroek Ron Westbroek

• Love
Reactions: Ron Westbroek

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Ron Westbroek Ron Westbroek the basics are really good. The light seems to be very good. How many pictures have you taken for the stack?

I import my RAW files in LR and adjust the basics like highlights and shadows. But I also sharpen the RAW files and reduce noise at this point. Less noise and better sharpness in the single pictures means a better stacking result.

Afterwards I export the files as a TIF file in Helicon and stack it in three different ways.
First of all in A with a higher radius (about 20) to get a nice blurry background. After that I render the same stack again with method B but with a lower radius (about 8-16). This stack is for the basic details.

Both (A and B) causes halos if you've overlapping details like wings or legs. This can be removed by using method C.

So I render the stack three times and have three files which I can import again in Helicon Focus. Render these three files again and combine the advantages of each stack to get a really good picture. A for the blurry background, B for the basic details and C only for the halos or other ares where you need strong contrasts.

I wrote a tutorial for this. Just check the subforum and give it a try.

Ron Westbroek

1 2
Apr 21, 2020
Helix_2648 Helix_2648
Thanks for the tip
These were 200 photos, see exif.
I just use Helicon by default, I select all the photos and let the program do the rest.
Then I save the photo then open it in photoshop to edit it like color, sharpen, remove noise.
But I'm definitely going to try your way.

Reactions: Jack and Karl